User Permissions

Leidy Madroñero

Aug 16, 2019, 9:52:09 AM8/16/19
to DSpace Technical Support
Greetings to all

I need to assign a person permissions for him to create new users. The problem is that this permission is only given by the administrator. Is there any way to give it permission without leaving it as admin?

I'll appreciate your answer, Leidy.

Tim Donohue

Aug 21, 2019, 10:49:55 AM8/21/19
to Leidy Madroñero, DSpace Technical Support
Hello Leidy,

Unfortunately, at this time, only a full Administrator can create new users.  However, if you enable self registration, then you could allow users to create themselves (by registering for a new account). Or, if you connect your DSpace to a local LDAP or Shibboleth (for authentication), then either system can be configured to auto-create new users (in DSpace) when they first login via LDAP or Shibboleth.

Obviously, once a new user account is created, it can be given permissions by different levels of administrators... for example Collection Admins can assign permissions within a Collection, and Community Admins can assign permissions within a Community.

Hopefully that helps, but let us know on this list if you have further questions.

Tim