pm2 start dspace-ui.json from root user?

Karol

Aug 11, 2023, 6:02:42 AM8/11/23
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi,

I wonder if it is safe to run angular from root? Shouldn't a dedicated user be created like in apache2 www-data? Does anyone have any good practices on how to run angular safely? Or maybe running pm2 from root is ok?

Best,

Karol

Mark H. Wood

Aug 11, 2023, 10:21:13 AM8/11/23
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
I always prefer to run a service in its own account, unless it
*requires* root.

I created a user 'scholarworks' (since our repository is named
"ScholarWorks") and configured the PM2 startup script to run PM2 as
that user. Details will depend on your OS -- here we use Gentoo
Linux, which uses OpenRC for startup, so I have a configuration script
for this in '/etc/conf.d/'.

One minor unpleasant result is that, if I want to interact with that
PM2 instance, I have to 'su' to its account. Not a big deal, just an
annoyance that I have to remember.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu
signature.asc

Karol

Aug 12, 2023, 1:07:27 AM8/12/23
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Mark,

thanks, i use debian. Do you think the tomcat user can be used to do this? Regards,

Karol

Technologiczny Informator

Aug 24, 2023, 7:39:09 AM8/24/23
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Karol,

You can safely use the tomcat account. I'm dealing with installations where this is the case and they work.

Regards
Mariusz

Karol

Aug 25, 2023, 3:46:07 AM8/25/23