DSpace 6.4 : Metadata based permission

Arunendra MB

Mar 24, 2023, 4:35:08 AM3/24/23
to DSpace Technical Support
There are multiple collections: Collection A,B,C..., each having its own sets of metadata but only one metadata M in common.
The requirement is to give access permission to users based on the value of M, i.e, if M=m1, then users U1 will have access to items having m1, if M=m2, the users of group U2 will have access to items having m2 in their metadata.

Since, there is no way to create sub-collections m1,m2,m3, how can this be purpose achieved?

Mark H. Wood

Mar 24, 2023, 9:59:47 AM3/24/23
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
DSpace isn't going to look at your metadata to determine access
rights. Rights are granted using 'ResourcePolicy's. You need to assign
different policy sets to the items having M=m1, M=m2, M=m3. This can
be done:

o manually during ingestion, if the collections have workflow enabled.
o manually by an administrator after submission is complete.
o during batch ingestion with SAF, by specifying PERMISSIONS in
the 'contents' file. (This applies to bitstreams but not, IIRC, to
the item as a whole.)
o using a tool (such as a curation task) to examine items in the
collection and adjust their policy sets based on the value of M.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu
signature.asc

Arunendra MB

Mar 24, 2023, 2:52:42 PM3/24/23
to DSpace Technical Support
I have never used Curation task earlier. But is it possible, from the Admin UI-> Curation Task to execute what you have suggested?If so, a bit more information would help.
Because I am not a Java programmer.

Mark H. Wood

Mar 27, 2023, 9:43:11 AM3/27/23
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 11:52:42AM -0700, Arunendra MB wrote:
> I have never used Curation task earlier. But is it possible, from the Admin
> UI-> Curation Task to execute what you have suggested?If so, a bit more
> information would help.
> Because I am not a Java programmer.

The task that I postulated does not exist. Someone would have to write it.

Once the task exists, it could be run from the UI (or the command
line). But it might be better to attach it to a workflow so that it
runs automatically on new submissions to specific collections.
signature.asc