Removing /xmlui from the URL

Stan Orlov

Jan 23, 2019, 5:07:39 PM1/23/19
to DSpace Technical Support
Greetings!

I followed the instructions to remove 8080 from our URL and I can now access our DSpace communities using either ec.msvu.ca:8080/xmlui or ec.msvu.ca/xmlui.  However, I would like for visitors to be able to access the main page of our DSpace by going to ec.msvu.ca (without "xmlui").  Ideally, it would be great if visitors with old links that have "/xmlui" in them could access the same page (for backward compatibility).

I believe it is a simple matter of adding/removing something in server.xml, context.xml or dspace.cfg, but I can't come up with an answer.

How can I achieve that?

Alan Orth

Jan 24, 2019, 4:43:34 AM1/24/19
to Stan Orlov, DSpace Technical Support
Dear Stan,

Assuming you are using Tomcat, you need to rename your XMLUI web application to "ROOT" and restart Tomcat. This is a special/reserved word that makes Tomcat deploy the application at the root level. You will also need to adjust your DSpace configuration, preferably in build.properties or local.cfg for DSpace 5 and 6, respectively, and then rebuild, as this will update all other configuration files as well.

As for handling the old links, you need to use Apache HTTPD's Redirect command or mod_rewrite in your virtual host block to catch and redirect old URLs. Redirect is simpler, but mod_rewrite will allow you to match regular expressions so that's much more flexible. :)

Alan Orth
alan...@gmail.com
https://picturingjordan.com
https://englishbulgaria.net
https://mjanja.ch
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ―Friedrich Nietzsche

Hoang Tran

Aug 14, 2019, 6:32:35 AM8/14/19
to DSpace Technical Support
Dear Alan,
Can you help me step by step. i use Tomcat 8, Ubuntu 14.6

Vào 16:43:34 UTC+7 Thứ Năm, ngày 24 tháng 1 năm 2019, Alan Orth đã viết:
Dear Stan,

Assuming you are using Tomcat, you need to rename your XMLUI web application to "ROOT" and restart Tomcat. This is a special/reserved word that makes Tomcat deploy the application at the root level. You will also need to adjust your DSpace configuration, preferably in build.properties or local.cfg for DSpace 5 and 6, respectively, and then rebuild, as this will update all other configuration files as well.

As for handling the old links, you need to use Apache HTTPD's Redirect command or mod_rewrite in your virtual host block to catch and redirect old URLs. Redirect is simpler, but mod_rewrite will allow you to match regular expressions so that's much more flexible. :)

Regards,