DSpace 7.6.1 How to make search work with AND operator instead of OR

Matthias Letsch

Apr 12, 2024, 10:10:58 AMApr 12
to DSpace Technical Support
Hello there,

Our quick search form on the homepage and in the navigation bar ist working with a boolean OR operator by default. For example, if I enter the string "Adaptation of model organisms", I get a hit list with over 700 hits because every single entry is listed that contains any of the words "adaptation" OR "of" (!) OR "model" OR "organisms" in any indexed metadata field. I know that there is a publication with a title beginnig exactly with this string, but that hit is not at the top, but hidden somewhere in the middle of a list of otherwise not relevant hits.

I personally don't find this useful and I don't know who does. When I enter a bunch of words in a "quick search" form, I want exactly the results that contain ALL the terms entered - the results of a search with an AND operator. An OR search should only be available, if at all, as an advanced search option that the user consciously selects.

So where can I change the behavior of the search and set it accordingly?

Thank you and kind regards
Matthias

Matthias Letsch

Apr 12, 2024, 10:18:34 AMApr 12
to DSpace Technical Support
Just for the sake of completeness: Unfortunately, our search does not work as documented here: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Search+-+Advanced

It says here that "Basic searching" corresponds to an AND search, but unfortunately this is not the case with us...

Maruan Sahyoun

Apr 12, 2024, 10:52:07 AMApr 12
to DSpace Technical Support
Did you try putting the string in quotes?

BR
Maruan

Matthias Letsch

Apr 12, 2024, 11:30:31 AMApr 12
to DSpace Technical Support
Thanks, I know I can do a search with quotes to get the exact string, but that's not what I want to accomplish.

I just want a search for multiple terms to return hits that contain all those terms and not just one, regardless of their order in it.

Kind regards
Matthias