Restricted Collections Supporting IIIF in DSPace 8?

Chris Clawson

Apr 12, 2024, 1:49:35 PMApr 12
to DSpace Technical Support
Does this upcoming release permit IIIF/Mirador use in private collections and communities? This is important.

DSpace Technical Support

Apr 23, 2024, 12:30:30 PMApr 23
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Chris & all,

As of today, the DSpace 8 release will not include this feature as the ticket is still open: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/issues/1435

There was some early work done in a PR, but it had some security issues & required more discussion: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/pull/1436  At this time that work seems "stalled" and is waiting on someone to pick it up again.

Just as a reminder, new features to DSpace are all created by volunteers or service providers.  We do not have a centralized development team and we rely on the contributions from our community of users.  I'd also love to see this feature in DSpace, but the reality is that it requires someone to lead the effort and donate the work back.  If anyone is interested, please feel free to volunteer via the ticket above & let us know how you'd plan to resolve the issues in the initial PR.

Tim

Chris Clawson

May 1, 2024, 10:54:23 AMMay 1
to DSpace Technical Support
Thanks for the answer. I would do more if I had the technical ability. I am trying to offer DSpace to lay organizations, who are very defensive about their collections. Having the IIIF viewer is important in winning them over, but they insist in first having the collection private until accepted. I can't give them both the viewer as well as a restricted community, so they will likely just not accept DSpace.