Author name changes and provenance

23 vues

Fitchett, Deborah

non lue,
14 juil. 2022, 23:46:1714/07/2022
à DSpace Community

Kia ora koutou,

I’m working on an early draft of an author name change policy for our repository. One of the less obvious places author names are included is the dc.description.provenance field generated when they first submit the item (submitter name and email address). If the file name included the author’s name this is also repeated in each dc.description.provenance field as it’s approved and made available.  While these fields are admin-only, it would be ideal for authors’ privacy to redact or replace their old name wherever we don’t actively need it.

We’ve never referred back to checksums and are unlikely to have resource in future to do any proper digital curation that would use them.

So, other than records management purist reasons, are there any technical implications of editing the dc.description.provenance fields, including submitter’s name and email address and file names?

(In case it makes a difference, currently we’re on v5.8 xmlui, and like most people will at some point in the future migrate to v7.x.)

Deborah

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Deborah Fitchett (she/her) MLIS, RLIANZA

Associate University Librarian, Digital Scholarship

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Learning, Teaching and Library – Te Whare Pūrākau

PO Box 85064, Lincoln University

Lincoln 7647, Christchurch, New Zealand

+64 3 423 0358

deborah....@lincoln.ac.nz

ltl.lincoln.ac.nz

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Lincoln University

Te Whare Wānaka o Aoraki

"The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) may be confidential and/or subject to copyright. Any unauthorised use, distribution, or copying of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by return e-mail or telephone and then delete this e-mail together with all attachments from your system."

Tim Donohue

non lue,
15 juil. 2022, 11:53:5815/07/2022
à Fitchett, Deborah,DSpace Community
Hi Deborah,

Simply put, no, there's no technical implications or limitations to modifying (or even removing) the "dc.description.provenance" field values.  Those values are auto-created by DSpace, but are never used later by the system. They are just there for a "human readable" provenance record of when that object was created and by whom.

Tim