Symplectic Elements and DSpace 7

joseph.greene

May 12, 2022, 10:52:14 AM5/12/22
to DSpace Community
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone knows whether the DSpace 7 API is backward-compatible with Symplectic Elements' Repository Tools (RT2)?

We are upgrading DSpace and integrating with Symplectic Elements.

Best wishes,

Joseph

Joseph Greene, MLIS

Research Repository Librarian

UCD Library

Room 250, Level 2, James Joyce Library

T: +353 1 716 7398 | E: joseph...@ucd.ie | W: http://researchrepository.ucd.ie/ | @ucd_oa

Tim Donohue

May 12, 2022, 12:45:53 PM5/12/22
to DSpace Community
Hi Joseph,

DSpace 7 should be backwards compatible with the existing Symplectic Elements Repository Tools, provided that you enable the SWORDv2 interface and install the _old_ REST API (v6) alongside the brand new REST API  (as their RT2 tools require the old REST API and SWORDv2 from my understanding).  Both of those are options in the DSpace 7 setup: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-BackendInstallation

That said, this backwards compatibility has NOT been fully tested with Symplectic yet.  But, I'm aware of one institution having already started such testing with Symplectic's support...and I am waiting on the results of that testing.

I'm also aware the Symplectic is planning to update their RT2 tools to use the new DSpace 7 REST API (for everything).  Once that release is completed, it's possible the old REST API (v6) and SWORDv2 would no longer be necessary to enable in your DSpace 7 site.  But, last I heard, that work is scheduled for mid-to-late 2022. You'd have to get in touch with Symplectic for more details on that effort.

Tim

Kate Byrne

May 13, 2022, 4:51:05 AM5/13/22
to Tim Donohue, DSpace Community
Hi Tim and Joseph,

Our work towards introducing a new DSpace 7 integration for Elements is progressing well. The first phase of the integration will be included in our release next week (Elements v6.8) and will allow organisations to establish a DSpace 7 repository as a data source for Elements. The second phase of the integration introducing deposit functionality should be included in our release after that (Elements v6.9) which is due for release in mid July.

If you'd like some additional information about the integration please feel free to get in touch with our team via the Symplectic Support site.

Best wishes

Kate

Kate Byrne
VP, Product Management

Joseph Greene

May 13, 2022, 6:21:58 AM5/13/22
to Kate Byrne, Tim Donohue, DSpace Community
Thanks both! Very informative,

Best wishes,
Joseph

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DSpace Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dspace-community/CAG9dYBLA5Q9zEJYfZQ5_ZzDqYKq1OOFyf%2BtrkanmXnAMPB2daQ%40mail.gmail.com.