Multiple metedata schema in one Dspace

cyberthecaire

Sep 11, 2019, 1:46:14 PM9/11/19
to dspace-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dspace community,
Is there one of Dspace using more than one metedata schema? Example : Dublin Core and another one Eg. LOM).
We want to explore this possibility, and we want to have an idea, if it's smooth and easy, or if the're some glitch...

Thanks in advance,
Isabelle

Isabelle Laplante
Librarian
Centre de documentation collégiale
Montréal, Québec, Canada

Envoyé depuis mon téléphone intelligent Samsung Galaxy.

Sep 11, 2019, 6:55:38 PM9/11/19
to cyberthecaire, dspace-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello Isabelle,

We use Dublin Core, ETD-MS, CSDGM and TRIDAS metadata schemas in our repository. All the schemas are indicated, with their namespaces, in the Metadata Registry. Our submission and display forms combine Dublin Core with elements from the other schemas, when that is appropriate.

I don't know how this really works on the technical side since I'm not a developer, but from my perspective as a repository manager, this works really well. It allows us to display information needed for specific types of content according to standards; for example, using ETD-MS to describe the degree level for theses and dissertations, or CSDGM to describe bounding coordinates for geospatial materials.

We're in conversations with a campus partner about learning objects, so we may soon be using LOM as well.

The DSpace Tech group may be able to provide more technical information about how all this works behind-the-scenes.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Chapman
Director, Campus Repository Services
Office of Digital Innovation & Stewardship
University of Arizona Libraries

Kimberly Chapman

Questo messaggio e' stato analizzato da Libra ESVA ed e' risultato non infetto.
This message was scanned by Libra ESVA and is believed to be clean.

Sawsan Habre

Sep 12, 2019, 5:33:03 AM9/12/19
to Kimberly Chapman, cyberthecaire, dspace-c...@googlegroups.com

Hello Isabelle and Kimberly

I know that a lot of Dspace user are using metadata schema with Dublin core. Why? Where is Dublin core not sufficient which lead us to use other schema? Please Kimberly could you give us more information?

Lots of thanks

Sawsan Habre

Archives manager

|Lebanese American University

Mark H. Wood

Sep 13, 2019, 11:05:23 AM9/13/19
to DSpace Community
On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 03:58:20PM -0700, Kimberly Chapman wrote:
[snip]
> I don't know how this really works on the technical side since I'm not a
> developer, but from my perspective as a repository manager, this works
> really well. It allows us to display information needed for specific types
> of content according to standards; for example, using ETD-MS to describe
> the degree level for theses and dissertations, or CSDGM to describe
> bounding coordinates for geospatial materials.

There are three database tables involved in storing metadata.

The "metadata schema registry" table holds a URL and a "short name"
for each metadata schema, and an opaque "metadata schema ID" number.
When you install a new schema, a new, unique metadata schema ID is
assigned to it.

The "metadata field registry" holds the element and qualifier names
for each field in each schema, along with the schema ID and an opaque
"metadata field ID" number. When you declare a field in a schema, a
new, unique metadata field ID is assigned to it.

The metadata values bound to a DSpace object are actually identified
by metadata field ID in the "metadata value" table, which also holds
the text value of the field, the identity of the object to which it is
bound, and other information, such as ordering when a field has
multiple values.

By looking up the field ID in the metadata field registry, the element
and qualifier names can be recovered for display, as well as the
schema ID. Then by looking up the schema ID in the metadata schema
table, the short name (or URL) of the schema can be recovered for
display.

During ingestion, the schema short name and the element.qualifier name
of each field are looked up in similar fashion to get the field ID
which is actually stored with the field's value(s).

By this means, DSpace can represent an enormous number of namespaces
and their fields. The Qualified Dublin Core namespace is always
required because DSpace uses it internally, but any number of
additional namespaces can be layered on to represent concepts that
were not standardized by DCMI. Recent versions of DSpace ship with
several additional namespaces which will be loaded automatically at
installation.

If you cannot find a namespace which defines a concept that you need,
you can create your own namespace and fields.

There is a "registry loader" tool for installing complete metadata
schemas, and an XML format for representing them to the tool. There
is also an administrative Web user interface section which can be used
to create and modify namespaces interactively.

One important limitation of this approach is that DSpace can only
*manipulate* metadata which exist in a flat space or a 2-level
hierarchy. DSpace can also store more complex metadata
representations as additional bitstreams on an item, but these are
merely preserved with the item and cannot be used to identify or
locate the item.

Some further reading:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Metadata+and+Bitstream+Format+Registries

--