dsi-studio container Ubuntu 22.04 / Wayland : Could not find the Qt platform plugin "wayland"

Olivier Kaloudoff

Sep 8, 2022, 2:20:03 AM9/8/22
to DSI Studio
Hi !

   I was unable to launch dsistudio/dsistudio:latest (image id: 175b6f065814) under Ubuntu 22.04 + Wayland, due to the following error message:

  qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in ""
  This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized.   Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

After some investigations, it turns out that the container is lacking the "qtwayland5" package.

I've added this package to the container, and now it successfully works.

Where should I report this ?

Meanwhile, starting dsi-studio via singularity on Wayland is working great using docker.io:/berryamin/dsistudio:orphye, which includes qt5wayland.

Best Regards,

Olivier

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Sep 8, 2022, 10:47:25 AM9/8/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Google the error message leads to this: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/598099/could-not-find-the-qt-platform-plugin-wayland
Hope this helps,
Frank

Olivier Kaloudoff

Sep 12, 2022, 1:34:47 PM9/12/22
to DSI Studio
Hi Frank,

  thanks for pointing this thread. Don't worry I've already found the solution. But it has to be implemented in the Dockerfile .. So on your side. :). Please add qtwayland5 to the list of packages included when building the docker container, so that people on Ubuntu Wayland may run the container.

Best Regards,

Olivier

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Sep 12, 2022, 1:50:09 PM9/12/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
This puzzles me because the Docker build at
https://github.com/frankyeh/DSI-Studio/blob/master/build_packages/docker/Dockerfile
use Ubuntu 20.04, and the binary build at
https://github.com/frankyeh/DSI-Studio/blob/master/build_packages/ubuntu_2204/Dockerfile
uses Qt 6.

Both of them do not need qtwayland5 (i.e. Docker: 20.04+Qt5, Binary:
22.04+Qt6), which is for Ubuntu 22.04+Qt5.

Building Qt5 in 22.04 is mixing an old library with a new OS, not a good idea.

Best,
Frank

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 1:34 PM Olivier Kaloudoff
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsi-studio/435bc0eb-031e-492d-9218-bf01388a9172n%40googlegroups.com.

Olivier Kaloudoff

Sep 13, 2022, 4:45:26 AM9/13/22
to DSI Studio
Ok I will test with QT6 and let you know the outcome

Olivier Kaloudoff

Sep 15, 2022, 4:34:19 AM9/15/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello Frank,

    the image on dockerhub is an ubuntu 2004 Focal with QT5 installed:

m1:~ kalou$  docker run -i dsistudio/dsistudio:latest  cat /etc/lsb-release

WARNING: The requested image's platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/arm64/v8) and no specific platform was requested

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu

DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04

DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS"

Olivier

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DSI Studio" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsi-studio/2d1eaf79-9aa9-4fab-988a-57b8983326b5n%40googlegroups.com.

--

Olivier Kaloudoff
Résidence la source - bâtiment B

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Sep 15, 2022, 10:00:28 AM9/15/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that is correct.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 4:34 AM Olivier Kaloudoff
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsi-studio/CAKLTOU-5bFDp-aoCD3disRjshvbvcn%3DZzsiQfEGc3NQ9Q-sNYA%40mail.gmail.com.

Olivier Kaloudoff

Sep 15, 2022, 11:46:00 AM9/15/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
That's why I installed qt5wayland and why it works !

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Sep 15, 2022, 12:07:46 PM9/15/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olivier,

It seems this is the Ubuntu+Qt+Wayland issue, and I am not sure
how to help from the DSI Studio side.
Perhaps you may search error message and see if there is a solution?

Best,
Frank

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 11:46 AM Olivier Kaloudoff
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dsi-studio/CAKLTOU9ontv%2BmKYSFuZKAHgfa-q_MRKwsV4DVky67bat2Ze9zw%40mail.gmail.com.

Olivier Kaloudoff

Sep 16, 2022, 10:53:33 AM9/16/22
to DSI Studio
Why is dockerhub container version 20.04 ?

Olivier Kaloudoff

Sep 16, 2022, 11:04:59 AM9/16/22
to DSI Studio
Ok let's try to clarify the discussion a little bit;

Frank wrote:

use Ubuntu 20.04,

-> this Dockerfile is indeed the base of docker.io/dsistudio/dsistudio:latest .
Ubuntu Focal , 20.04, qt5 . *** lacking qt5wayland ***
 -> Why do we need this ?
 -> To run dsi-studio using singularity on an ubuntu 2204 host with Wayland, as I tried to explain it in the very first message of this thread.

and the binary build at
-> OK, this is not the public container on dockerhub.com
-> moreover, If you want to use this containerized dsi-studio / qt6, you need also, the qt6-wayland plugin.

Frank wrote:

Building Qt5 in 22.04 is mixing an old library with a new OS, not a good idea.

-> Indeed, and that's not what I did.

I added the qt5 wayland plugin to the publicly available dsistudio/dsistudio:latest container, which is 20.04 QT5.

So asking If  you may include the wayland plugin (QT5 for 20.04, QT6 for 22.04) inside the relevant Dockerfiles ?

Fang-Cheng Yeh

Sep 16, 2022, 11:58:10 AM9/16/22
to dsi-s...@googlegroups.com
So asking If  you may include the wayland plugin (QT5 for 20.04, QT6 for 22.04) inside the relevant Dockerfiles ?

I see your point.
Once done (in 30 min), you may see if the docker file works for you.

Best,
Frank