Apache migration logistics

Gian Merlino

Mar 5, 2018, 10:49:47 AM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Druid developers,

Since the Apache incubation vote has passed (https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a9186930d46eba8136e6f2d29646efab33390b213515b76deea71c57@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E) it's now time to figure out the logistics of migrating our community and infrastructure to Apache.

I want to start a discussion around what needs to be migrated, so we can make sure it will be smooth, and that we don't miss anything important. I think the big things are,

- Releases will go through the incubator process: https://incubator.apache.org/policy/incubation.html#releases
- Druid committers need to get Apache ids and fill out Apache ICLAs.

I believe that the last step can be done immediately. Any Druid committers who aren't already Apache members, please follow the steps on https://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html#guide-for-new-committers and see what happens :)

Some questions up for discussion,

1) Source repos: Even though we need to migrate source repos to ASF git, we could potentially keep using a Github pull request based workflow. One example of a project that has a github-based workflow is Airflow, see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Committers%27+Guide (search for "asfgit" examples). The workflow is different: pull requests are closed, not merged, and a bot does the commit out of band. I'm not sure if this is the only way to do it or if there are other options. Do we want to do this (I think yes)?

2) Issue tracking: Is there an ability to mass import Github issues into Apache JIRA? Maybe we should do some spring cleaning of Github issues first.

3) Druid 0.12.0: I'd like to release this before migrating anything, since the vote is almost done anyway, and it seems like our first incubating release might take a while (there is a lot of stuff to migrate). So maybe we can shoot for 0.13.0 being the first Apache release.

4) Current status: has anyone requested ASF mailing lists, git repos, a JIRA project, a wiki, and a web site yet? If not is anyone interested in volunteering?

5) Order of migration: My feeling is it makes sense to move the source repos first, then website, then mailing lists. Or maybe we want to move the dev list first before anything else. I do think it makes sense to move the user list last, since it could be confusing to have a user list on Apache infra without having the project fully moved over there.

For reference our proposal is at: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DruidProposal. And our migration status page is at: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/druid.html.

Gian

Xavier Léauté

Mar 5, 2018, 12:22:18 PM3/5/18

ASF recently started offering GitBox (https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/) which enabled 2-way sync between github and asf git, which lets projects use GitHub based workflows. as of December if wasn't GA yet, but many projects already requested it. Apache Kafka recently switched to it (https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3ef19c439e978993d1e40f0f30cc0126e79761b7b8910400fb7f18bb@%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3Ehttps://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15676), I can look into this.

4) Current status: has anyone requested ASF mailing lists, git repos, a JIRA project, a wiki, and a web site yet? If not is anyone interested in volunteering?

I can look into the repo situation. If I can request the other things as part of the same process, I'll do it as well.

Gian Merlino

Mar 5, 2018, 12:35:56 PM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
The GitBox thing sounds cool - is Kafka migrated to it yet and do you know if it's working out well? Seems like we'd want to get on board with that from the start since we already do everything on Github.

Gian

Nishant Bangarwa

Mar 5, 2018, 12:56:13 PM3/5/18

I think it is also possible to use github issues now with ASF projects. e.g I noticed rocketMQ is trying to migrate to github issues from JIRA here - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16128. Based on the JIRA comments it seems what needs to be done there is to have a VOTE on the official apache mailing lists and request Apache Infra team to enable github issues.

3) Druid 0.12.0: I'd like to release this before migrating anything, since the vote is almost done anyway, and it seems like our first incubating release might take a while (there is a lot of stuff to migrate). So maybe we can shoot for 0.13.0 being the first Apache release.

+1 on this.
5) Order of migration: My feeling is it makes sense to move the source repos first, then website, then mailing lists. Or maybe we want to move the dev list first before anything else. I do think it makes sense to move the user list last, since it could be confusing to have a user list on Apache infra without having the project fully moved over there.

I think mailing lists should be the first one as for many things we may need to have an official VOTE thread and reach a consensus on the official mailing list. As a stop gap, We can look into setting up forwarding logic for all mails from druid-dev and druid-user mailing lists to the apache lists during the migration process. Looks like It should possible by subscribing apache mailing list email to google groups (https://docs.helpscout.net/article/77-google-groups).

So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

For reference our proposal is at: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DruidProposal. And our migration status page is at: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/druid.html.

Gian

Xavier Léauté

Jihoon Son

Mar 5, 2018, 1:37:55 PM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
Gian,

you can check which projects are using Gitbox here (https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf). I'm not sure all of them are using Gibox, but I guess many projects starts to use it.

> 5) Order of migration: My feeling is it makes sense to move the source repos first, then website, then mailing lists. Or maybe we want to move the dev list first before anything else. I do think it makes sense to move the user list last, since it could be confusing to have a user list on Apache infra without having the project fully moved over there.

It makes more sense to me to move the dev list first.

Jihoon

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오전 9:58, Xavier Léauté <xav...@confluent.io>님이 작성:

Gian Merlino

Mar 5, 2018, 1:40:16 PM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
> I think it is also possible to use github issues now with ASF projects. e.g I noticed rocketMQ is trying to migrate to github issues from JIRA here - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16128. Based on the JIRA comments it seems what needs to be done there is to have a VOTE on the official apache mailing lists and request Apache Infra team to enable github issues.

Cool, that is good to know. I guess at some point we should decide if we want to migrate to Apache JIRA or stick with Github issues. I assume we would at least need to move our issues from github.com/druid-io/druid to github.com/apache/druid. Does anyone know if the policy on this stuff is written down somewhere?

> I think mailing lists should be the first one as for many things we may need to have an official VOTE thread and reach a consensus on the official mailing list. As a stop gap, We can look into setting up forwarding logic for all mails from druid-dev and druid-user mailing lists to the apache lists during the migration process. Looks like It should possible by subscribing apache mailing list email to google groups (https://docs.helpscout.net/article/77-google-groups).
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Gian

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:55 PM, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Xavier Léauté

Mar 5, 2018, 1:43:52 PM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
I got confirmation that GitBox is available for incubating projects. Those were actually the first projects to start using it.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:40 AM Gian Merlino <gi...@imply.io> wrote:
> [...]

I think mailing lists should be the first one as for many things we may need to have an official VOTE thread and reach a consensus on the official mailing list. As a stop gap, We can look into setting up forwarding logic for all mails from druid-dev and druid-user mailing lists to the apache lists during the migration process. Looks like It should possible by subscribing apache mailing list email to google groups (https://docs.helpscout.net/article/77-google-groups).

So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

Nishant Bangarwa

Mar 5, 2018, 1:47:18 PM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Sounds good to me. We can move the dev list first and user list at a later point.

Jihoon Son

Mar 5, 2018, 2:14:59 PM3/5/18

there was a discussion for using a third-party issue tracker (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249). I think the point is

> Okay, it looks like the requirement is just to capture the intent to contribute in ASF-owned infrastructure. That means that the automated process that adds PR information to a JIRA issue or sends it to a mailing list is fine.

In short, it looks like allowed (Apache Fluo is using Github issue tracker (https://github.com/apache/fluo/issues)), but it should be captured by another issue tracker system owned by ASF. If so, I think it's better to use ASF Jira.

BTW, here is a link to a doc how Airflow migrated to Apache (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=62693993). I think it's helpful.

Jihoon

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오전 10:47, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Sounds good to me. We can move the dev list first and user list at a later point.

Gian Merlino

Mar 5, 2018, 2:58:16 PM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
Oh, interesting thread. It sounds like the outcome was that 3rd party issue trackers are fine, but we would need to be careful that a record of what happens ends up on some sort of ASF infra. Fluo uses a mailing list: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249?focusedCommentId=15548162&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-15548162

Personally I would very much like to use Github pull requests the way we currently do. But for issues I am less opinionated - ASF JIRA seems fine? But Github issues are also fine. And we do already use them, and they are well integrated with pull requests. So we could go with something Fluo style.

It sounds like Airflow doesn't use GitBox method that Xavier described Kafka using. The process described on the Airflow wiki is decidedly 1 way ("no green merge button"). This Kafka PR does look like it is a real honest to goodness merge: https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4611.

Gian

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 2:14 PM, Jihoon Son <ghoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gian,

there was a discussion for using a third-party issue tracker (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249). I think the point is

> Okay, it looks like the requirement is just to capture the intent to contribute in ASF-owned infrastructure. That means that the automated process that adds PR information to a JIRA issue or sends it to a mailing list is fine.

In short, it looks like allowed (Apache Fluo is using Github issue tracker (https://github.com/apache/fluo/issues)), but it should be captured by another issue tracker system owned by ASF. If so, I think it's better to use ASF Jira.

BTW, here is a link to a doc how Airflow migrated to Apache (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=62693993). I think it's helpful.

Jihoon

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오전 10:47, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Sounds good to me. We can move the dev list first and user list at a later point.

Nishant Bangarwa

Mar 5, 2018, 2:58:41 PM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
Apache Incubator Superset is another example which uses github issues - https://github.com/apache/incubator-superset/issues
For Superset it works as all the github issue interactions are captured in ASF owned mailing list via Gitbox Integration.

@Jihoon, Thanks for the Airflow migration link, super helpful.

Julian Hyde

Mar 5, 2018, 3:52:55 PM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
The dev, users and private mailing lists now exist. You can see the archives:

https://lists.apache.org/list.html?pri...@druid.apache.org

To see the last of these, you need to log in.

There will also be archives at https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/druid-dev/ etc. (you might need to wait a few minutes for the archiver to catch up).

If you are an initial committer or mentor, you are a member of the Druid PPMC and you must be on both dev and private lists now. Send a message to dev-su...@druid.apache.org and private-...@geode.apache.org.

Everyone else is welcome to join dev and/or users.

Julian

Jihoon Son

Mar 5, 2018, 4:11:20 PM3/5/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
Julian, thanks for setting them up.

> Personally I would very much like to use Github pull requests the way we currently do. But for issues I am less opinionated - ASF JIRA seems fine? But Github issues are also fine. And we do already use them, and they are well integrated with pull requests. So we could go with something Fluo style.

I'm definitely +1 for using Github pull requests. Regarding the issue tracker, I also personally prefer using Github issues. This is because Jira is very powerful if we use it's various functionalities, but I think it's hard to use all of them in open source project development. Furthermore, ASF Jira was sometimes very slow from my personal experience, especially searching specific tickets.

Jihoon

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오후 12:52, Julian Hyde <jhyde....@gmail.com>님이 작성:

Xavier Léauté

Mar 6, 2018, 1:13:00 PM3/6/18
to Druid Development, d...@druid.apache.org
Julian, it looks like you or one of the mentors has to request the source code repos. Could you request a gitbox enabled repo?

Based on https://incubator.apache.org/guides/transitioning_asf.html, for the initial migration, we need to involve infra to import the initial git history and grant them admin rights to the github repo.

Charles, it also sound like we won't be able to do any code migration util legal signs off on the software grant, could you drive that?

Julian Hyde

Mar 8, 2018, 2:48:06 AM3/8/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
I’m working on it. It turns that I don’t have sufficient karma to create a git repo, so I’ve put in a request on the incubator list.

Roman Leventov

Mar 9, 2018, 10:31:50 AM3/9/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
Could archives of druid-dev and druid-users mailing lists be transferred to the new lists?

If you are an initial committer or mentor, you are a member of the Druid PPMC and you must be on both dev and private lists now. Send a message to dev-su...@druid.apache.org and private-subscribe@geode.apache.org.

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 at 00:44 Jihoon Son <ghoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gian,

there was a discussion for using a third-party issue tracker (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249). I think the point is

> Okay, it looks like the requirement is just to capture the intent to contribute in ASF-owned infrastructure. That means that the automated process that adds PR information to a JIRA issue or sends it to a mailing list is fine.

In short, it looks like allowed (Apache Fluo is using Github issue tracker (https://github.com/apache/fluo/issues)), but it should be captured by another issue tracker system owned by ASF. If so, I think it's better to use ASF Jira.

BTW, here is a link to a doc how Airflow migrated to Apache (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=62693993). I think it's helpful.

Jihoon

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오전 10:47, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Sounds good to me. We can move the dev list first and user list at a later point.

Julian Hyde

Mar 9, 2018, 1:39:57 PM3/9/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
I don’t know. I don’t think it’s easy.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/CAB5L%3DwdPA2BhCFqYWO6CXFZ%3Djh5AWOJqLbP_2G1RimHCZWYFTA%40mail.gmail.com.

Nishant Bangarwa

Mar 9, 2018, 2:14:35 PM3/9/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
We can register d...@druid.apache.org and us...@druid.apache.org as a user in druid user groups so that going forward any mails that are sent to druid google groups are also received on the apache lists and is on the record. This would be to bridge the gap during the migration only.

@Julian, I go ahead and try setting this up, If this seems reasonable ?

On Mar 9, 2018, at 7:31 AM, Roman Leventov <roman.l...@metamarkets.com> wrote:

> [...]

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오전 10:47, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Sounds good to me. We can move the dev list first and user list at a later point.

Julian Hyde

Mar 9, 2018, 2:22:41 PM3/9/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
As you say, it is only a temporary solution. Also, it encourages people to continue posting to google groups (their mails will be archived in both places) rather than posting to apache (their mails would be archived in only one place).

A clean break might be easiest. Choose a cut-over date, and after that date each message sent to google groups would receive a reply “this list is deprecated; please post to apache instead”.

Also worth searching or posting to general@incubator. Many projects experience this (e.g. FreeMarker, another mature project that recently joined Apache).

Xavier Léauté

Mar 9, 2018, 2:29:07 PM3/9/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
This thread is already going to both lists, and it looks like responses automatically go to both. Would be good to check what happens if we subscribe dev@ to the google group. If responding from the apache list doesn't automatically add the google group as well, it will be hard to keep the group useful.

Agree with Julian a cutoff is necessary anyway, since the google group inherently becomes less useful over time, as some information only ends up in the apache list.

Gian Merlino

Mar 12, 2018, 5:30:01 PM3/12/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
I think rather than subscribing the apache dev list to the google group, it'd be better to do a clean break and disable posting on the google group. The autoreply feature seems to need a business account, which we don't have, but we could turn on "Moderate all messages to the group" and combine that with a "Rejected author notification" message. I think that would be pretty close.

Gian

On Mar 9, 2018, at 7:31 AM, Roman Leventov <roman.leventov@metamarkets.com> wrote:

> [...]

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오전 10:47, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Sounds good to me. We can move the dev list first and user list at a later point.

Gian Merlino

Mar 12, 2018, 5:49:19 PM3/12/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
Committers: please,

1) If you don't have an apache id already, fill out an ICLA: https://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html#guide-for-new-committers and then post here and hopefully someone can figure out how to get you an id?

2) When you have an id, post it here if it's not in http://incubator.apache.org/projects/druid.html so someone can figure out how to add you to that, and then also try to sign up to private-...@druid.apache.org (+ dev-su...@druid.apache.org which you should be on already). If you can't, then also post here, and hopefully someone can figure _that_ out.

> [...]

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오전 10:47, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Sounds good to me. We can move the dev list first and user list at a later point.

Gian Merlino

Mar 12, 2018, 6:20:01 PM3/12/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
Also sign up to users by emailing users-s...@druid.apache.org -- it doesn't have many people on it yet but they will come soon enough.

Gian

2) When you have an id, post it here if it's not in http://incubator.apache.org/projects/druid.html so someone can figure out how to add you to that, and then also try to sign up to private-subscribe@druid.apache.org (+ dev-su...@druid.apache.org which you should be on already). If you can't, then also post here, and hopefully someone can figure _that_ out.

[...]

Jihoon Son

Mar 13, 2018, 5:24:33 PM3/13/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
Hi Gian,

my id is jihoonson.

Best,
Jihoon

2018년 3월 12일 (월) 오후 2:49, Gian Merlino <gi...@imply.io>님이 작성:
> [...]

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오전 10:47, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Sounds good to me. We can move the dev list first and user list at a later point.

Xavier Léauté

Mar 13, 2018, 5:24:33 PM3/13/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
FYI, to update your information on the status page you need to check out https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/projects/ with your Apache credentials and update the druid.xml file in that directory.

To see the last of these, you need to log in.

There will also be archives at https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/druid-dev/ etc. (you might need to wait a few minutes for the archiver to catch up).

If you are an initial committer or mentor, you are a member of the Druid PPMC and you must be on both dev and private lists now. Send a message to dev-su...@druid.apache.org and private-...@geode.apache.org.

Everyone else is welcome to join dev and/or users.

Julian
On Mar 5, 2018, at 11:58 AM, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com> wrote:

Apache Incubator Superset is another example which uses github issues - https://github.com/apache/incubator-superset/issues
For Superset it works as all the github issue interactions are captured in ASF owned mailing list via Gitbox Integration.

@Jihoon, Thanks for the Airflow migration link, super helpful.

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 at 00:44 Jihoon Son <ghoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gian,

there was a discussion for using a third-party issue tracker (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249). I think the point is

> Okay, it looks like the requirement is just to capture the intent to contribute in ASF-owned infrastructure. That means that the automated process that adds PR information to a JIRA issue or sends it to a mailing list is fine.

In short, it looks like allowed (Apache Fluo is using Github issue tracker (https://github.com/apache/fluo/issues)), but it should be captured by another issue tracker system owned by ASF. If so, I think it's better to use ASF Jira.

BTW, here is a link to a doc how Airflow migrated to Apache (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=62693993). I think it's helpful.

Jihoon

2018년 3월 5일 (월) 오전 10:47, Nishant Bangarwa <nishant...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
> So i would propose to setup forwarding to apache lists as first step and request everyone to migrate to apache lists, migrate source code then website. After sufficient time has passed when everyone has migrated to apache mailing lists, Officially stop using the google groups mailing list.

How about moving the dev list first and moving the user list later? I can see the reason for migrating the dev list early (so we can do votes and such) but to me it makes sense to not move the user list right away, at least until the web site has been migrated. That way when we send a mail to the user list saying "hi everyone please go over to apache land now" there is some stuff already waiting over there.

Sounds good to me. We can move the dev list first and user list at a later point.

Julian Hyde

Mar 27, 2018, 9:19:25 PM3/27/18
to d...@druid.apache.org, druid-de...@googlegroups.com
Per https://incubator.apache.org/guides/transitioning_asf.html we need to get SGA/CCLA on file, then we should file a JIRA case similar to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15735 or https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12261 to do the import.

Julian

On Mar 27, 2018, at 5:20 PM, Gian Merlino <gianm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, today I found myself wondering about migration of source repos.

Does anyone know if we've got our GitBox git repo set up? And who we need
to talk to about getting the druid-io repos transferred to the apache org
in github such that we can do source control in an Apache-certified-okay
way? It sounded like we are going to be able to keep using GitHub PRs and
issues. So I'm hoping we can do this process:
https://help.github.com/articles/about-repository-transfers/ which lets us
keep all the issues, watchers, & stars intact.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM Gian Merlino <gi...@imply.io> wrote:

Committers: please,

1) If you don't have an apache id already, fill out an ICLA:
https://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html#
guide-for-new-committers and

.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
CACZfFK7%2BdPggO12_y5qmhNfjtvW6kVqaG2L%3Djsh5euqJ-i2jQQ%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
CACZfFK7%2BdPggO12_y5qmhNfjtvW6kVqaG2L%3Djsh5euqJ-i2jQQ%40mail.gmail.
com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
CABs1682ACVnKvgXsuXN%3DDiJu7RsjTxuL0Q%3DoZxc9wy85YfxGLg%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
CABs1682ACVnKvgXsuXN%3DDiJu7RsjTxuL0Q%3DoZxc9wy85YfxGLg%40mail.
gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
54C2027F-E632-4DD5-B56E-CB4B62933C16%40gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
54C2027F-E632-4DD5-B56E-CB4B62933C16%40gmail.com?utm_
medium=email&utm_source=footer>

.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/CA%
2BrPSbbtFogY%3D%2BofXim0Nx7%3DwiMeNEpWoQmk5LK-YaaAa45%
3DxQ%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/CA%
2BrPSbbtFogY%3D%2BofXim0Nx7%3DwiMeNEpWoQmk5LK-YaaAa45%
3DxQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
3824007F-F046-4E11-AF3C-04F43D242C97%40apache.org
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
3824007F-F046-4E11-AF3C-04F43D242C97%40apache.org?utm_
medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

googlegroups.com
.
.

googlegroups.com

.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
A4F427A9-44FD-4C64-B68A-557126705DC7%40gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
A4F427A9-44FD-4C64-B68A-557126705DC7%40gmail.com?utm_
medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

CABs1683hX6qZEc8MzkpBXu5rq3DwY07sS1YrNtv4JeW9G7h8fQ%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
CABs1683hX6qZEc8MzkpBXu5rq3DwY07sS1YrNtv4JeW9G7h8fQ%40mail.
gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

.

.
.

Gian Merlino

Mar 31, 2018, 2:16:44 PM3/31/18
to d...@druid.apache.org, druid-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi, today I found myself wondering about migration of source repos.

Does anyone know if we've got our GitBox git repo set up? And who we need to talk to about getting the druid-io repos transferred to the apache org in github such that we can do source control in an Apache-certified-okay way? It sounded like we are going to be able to keep using GitHub PRs and issues. So I'm hoping we can do this process: https://help.github.com/articles/about-repository-transfers/ which lets us keep all the issues, watchers, & stars intact.
On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Xavier Léauté <xav...@confluent.io> wrote:
FYI, to update your information on the status page you need to check out
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/projects/ with
your Apache credentials and update the druid.xml file in that directory.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM Gian Merlino <gi...@imply.io> wrote:

> Committers: please,
>
> 1) If you don't have an apache id already, fill out an ICLA:
> https://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html#guide-for-new-committers and
> then post here and hopefully someone can figure out how to get you an id?
>
> 2) When you have an id, post it here if it's not in
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/druid.html so someone can figure out
> how to add you to that, and then also try to sign up to

>>> --

>>> .
>>>
>> --

>> .

Gian Merlino

Apr 15, 2018, 10:56:50 AM4/15/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org
FYI: We received an inquiry about where our web site was, and so we set up a placeholder site at: http://druid.incubator.apache.org/.

Last I heard, the SGA paperwork is still being worked on, and after that is done we should start migrating the sources and site.

In the meantime should we consider setting a cutoff date for shutting down druid-de...@googlegroups.com list, in favor of d...@druid.apache.org? We have been encouraging people to use the latter list for a few weeks now. Maybe one more week: April 23?

To post to this group, send email to
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
CABs168096baBaAm941w%2BP8u6Ziqi08BauzYFQvZ6ozkk8E5SCw%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
CABs168096baBaAm941w%2BP8u6Ziqi08BauzYFQvZ6ozkk8E5S
Cw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

[...]

2BrPSbaXvqfv2OEMMUTuwZfhS1uiE9LmAeqo4J1proWFpA00gA%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/CA%
2BrPSbaXvqfv2OEMMUTuwZfhS1uiE9LmAeqo4J1proWFpA00gA%40mail.
gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

UD47NUPTgGhqAKHgvzfsTpe1gt5GEHw%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/druid-development/
CACZNdYBUASnu5jYHUs_UD47NUPTgGhqAKHgvzfsTpe1gt5GEH
w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

Maxime Beauchemin

Apr 16, 2018, 1:51:40 PM4/16/18
to Druid Development
Quick note to say that apache sets up both http://druid.incubator.apache.org/  and http://druid.apache.org/ to point to the same place. I'd recommend always referencing and using  http://druid.apache.org/ for SEO and future-proofing purposes.

Max

Gian Merlino

Apr 16, 2018, 4:33:33 PM4/16/18
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@druid.apache.org