Apple M1

Joe Barnhart

Feb 6, 2022, 6:56:57 PM2/6/22
to DropSync
So I noticed the DropSync 3 executable is an Intel binary.  I'd really like to see a native M1 version for my MacBook Pro.  I think the gains in efficiency would be noticeable, as well as the saving in battery power.

As an aside, I noticed the native rsync takes about 1/2 the power of the one included in DropSync.  Maybe the Intel executable is to blame?  But maybe not.  I notice the build-in rsync is running an Intel executable as well.  Probably because it is being used within an Intel program?  I'm not sure about that.

Other than recompiling the program under the latest Xcode, I don't know if any other work in involved.  I'd be happy to test it.

Ira Cooke

Feb 6, 2022, 7:39:38 PM2/6/22
to drop...@googlegroups.com
Dear Joe,

I hope you are enjoying your M1 MacBook Pro.  I have an M1 MBP also and rebuilt DropSync fairly early to take advantage of this.

Are you running the latest version of DropSync?

As of version 3.2.2 DropSync has been M1 native and this includes the rsync core as well.

Best wishes
Ira

Joe Barnhart

Feb 6, 2022, 7:59:16 PM2/6/22
to DropSync
Well this is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.  Yes I have DropSync 3.2.3 loaded on my Mac.  When I load it and look at the processes I see:

 Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6.54.18 PM.png

It clearly says DropSync is "type" Intel rather than Apple.  Only a few executables anymore are Intel on my MBP.  Dropbox, Adobe Borg Cloud, and now DropSync.  When it runs, the rsync daemons under it are also listed as "type Intel."  I'm mystified.

Mind you, it still works well as a Rosetta 2 app.  But I'm greedy and want my ARM!

Joe

Ira Cooke

Feb 6, 2022, 8:03:25 PM2/6/22
to drop...@googlegroups.com
Dear Joe,

We did have some issues transitioning the update system for DropSync from our old provider to a new one.  During the transition you might have ended up with a version that won’t update properly.

Can you please try downloading again .. either from the Mac App Store .. or from the mudflatsoftware website (depending on your original purchase method).

Best wishes
Ira

On 7 Feb 2022, at 10:59 am, Joe Barnhart <joe.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well this is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.  Yes I have DropSync 3.2.3 loaded on my Mac.  When I load it and look at the processes I see:

Joe Barnhart

Feb 6, 2022, 8:25:51 PM2/6/22
to DropSync
No joy.  I deleted it and reinstalled it and it still thinks it's an Intel binary.  I even discarded the trash and rebooted the computer before reinstalling.  I looked at the System Report under Software>>Applications and found this entry.  It clearly thinks this is an Intel binary only:

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 7.23.24 PM.png

Ira Cooke

Feb 6, 2022, 9:02:51 PM2/6/22
to drop...@googlegroups.com
Dear Joe,

Thanks so much for drawing my attention to this.  You’re right.  When I download the version from the app store it is indeed Intel only.  I was testing using the version from my website.  I certainly thought I had sorted that all out .. but obviously something went wrong with the app store build.

I will look into it and put up a replacement build asap.

Best wishes
Ira

On 7 Feb 2022, at 11:25 am, Joe Barnhart <joe.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

No joy.  I deleted it and reinstalled it and it still thinks it's an Intel binary.  I even discarded the trash and rebooted the computer before reinstalling.  I looked at the System Report under Software>>Applications and found this entry.  It clearly thinks this is an Intel binary only:

Joe Barnhart

Feb 6, 2022, 9:11:02 PM2/6/22
to DropSync
Hey, I'm thrilled!  I'll keep my eye out for the update and rejoice that one more bit is optimized for my M1 Pro.  Joy!

-- Joe