How to preview the modules on page with different views

Lakshmi Somisetty

Oct 30, 2022, 8:01:05 PM10/30/22
to dotCMS User Group
I need to setup a page with header, footer and body. Header and Footer is always same.
Body has multiple modules. One module is to show Employee details and second is FAQ.
1. Employee details has to be shown in 5 different views. How can I achieve this?
     Content authors should have ability to switch between any of these 5 different views             and  preview, publish without developer involvement . How can I achieve this using  DotCMS  ?
2.  Content authors should be able to show Employee details, FAQ on any page if they want.  its like reusable modules.
3. Content Authors should be able to switch the order of two modules as they needed. Content authors should be able to drop any module on to any page and show it on page.

Mark Pitely

Oct 31, 2022, 9:11:12 AM10/31/22
to dot...@googlegroups.com
How are you separating the 5 different views to the end users? Is this by language, IP, URL parameter, or by urlmapping? Or is this by device or something else?

http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

Lakshmi Somisetty

Oct 31, 2022, 9:36:59 AM10/31/22
to dotCMS User Group
Hi Mark,
Thank you for the response.
One view  only will be active at a time. every end user see the same view. Content author has to select which view to be shown.

Stefan Schinkel

Oct 31, 2022, 9:39:34 AM10/31/22
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lakshmi,
You can do this using persona and preview for personas (from a Content Editor perspective), while the visitor gets to see the content matching their persona.

Best
Stefan

--
Product Roadmap

Stefan Schinkel

200 Portland Street, Suite 3.158
Boston MA 02114

Lakshmi Somisetty

Oct 31, 2022, 9:51:06 AM10/31/22
to dotCMS User Group
Actually here nothing is related to user specific or personalization. there are 5 different versions of employee details. Content author want to show one view of employee details on page for some time. After few days, they want to show different view of employee details on page. Every user see the same view at any point of time.

Stefan Schinkel

Oct 31, 2022, 9:54:18 AM10/31/22
to dot...@googlegroups.com
So what is the timing aspect of this and what constitutes a version? Can you elaborate please or share mockups?

Mark Pitely

Oct 31, 2022, 10:30:07 AM10/31/22
to dot...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to use some Velocity like this:
#set ($display=1)
##change this to change which is today's display choice.
#iset ($version=$request.getParameter("version"))
#if ($UtilMethods.isSet($version))
#set ($display=$version)
#end

#if ($display==1)
ONE
#end

#if ($display==2)
TWO
#end

This code would display ONE if you went to it like this:

And TWO if you used

plus,you just change that first number by hand whenever you want to swap.

Although, if you just make each display piece a unique piece of content, it is trivial to add and remove them, no code.
I'd make a second developer page that just has all 5 on it for viewing.

Mark Pitely
Albright College

Lakshmi Somisetty

Oct 31, 2022, 10:45:19 AM10/31/22
to dotCMS User Group
We are evaluating dotCMS product based on our requirements. One of those is letting content author to switch between the views of module.

On this page,
'What's Happening in Sports' module has support for multiple views
couple of them are , 1. Column View , 2. Row View
Currently it is set to Row View. So everyone will see Row View. If Content authors wants to show , Column view, they just go to CMS Admin and open the page asset in web mode and change the layout of  'What's happening in Sports' module to column view so that everyone see the column view for this module on the page. Here I am attaching some screenshots.
WhatsHappening-RowView2.PNG
WhatsHappening-ColumnView1.PNG
oracleCMSAdmin-webmode.PNG

Lakshmi Somisetty

Oct 31, 2022, 11:07:07 AM10/31/22
to dotCMS User Group

And also, Content author should be able to place this module on any page .   They should be able to re order the appearance of this module on page. It can be placed on top, middle or bottom anywhere on the page.
on this page 'What's Happening in Sports'  and 'Discover More' are two modules on this page. Currently What's Happening in Sports'  is showing first and then 'Discover More' .
Content Authors should be able to re order the modules to show 'Discover More' first and 'What's Happening in Sports' later

Mark Pitely

Oct 31, 2022, 11:07:29 AM10/31/22
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that can be done in lots of ways, some of which are almost trivial.
In this case, you could:
1) Make 4 templates. Simply switch which template that page is using.
2) Add a select variable on the page, changing the value of that and have parts of the templates swap. (could be as easy as whatever is picked from
 the dropdown is added in the template as a different CSS class, so all the display things could be handled with CSS.)

Stefan was hinting that you can even have it change based off of audience/persona participation.
Also, remember that dotCMS can behave headless, so you can technically make a page renderer/builder of your own using any javascript tricks you want.

Mark Pitely

Oct 31, 2022, 11:10:39 AM10/31/22
to dot...@googlegroups.com
This is supported out of the box. Content editors can swap the order of displayed blocks. with one click.
You can ask for a demo from dotCMS to see all this functionality.

Lakshmi Somisetty

Oct 31, 2022, 11:16:15 AM10/31/22
to dotCMS User Group
Would you be able to setup some mock page on demo site?  I want to see if this can be achieved. From out of box, I can see that I can switch the template for whole page. But, I cannot change the template for specific module on particular page.

Lakshmi Somisetty

Oct 31, 2022, 11:21:40 AM10/31/22
to dotCMS User Group
What is the process to request demo from dotCMS? Especially to discuss dotCMS support for our requirements.

Stefan Schinkel

Oct 31, 2022, 11:27:29 AM10/31/22
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lakshmi, you can work with me directly, and then we can set up this use-case in a dotCMS Cloud sandbox.

Best
Stefan

Lakshmi Somisetty

Oct 31, 2022, 1:30:41 PM10/31/22
to dotCMS User Group
Thank you Stephen. When can it be ready to view?  Is there any call to go over this demo?
1. Content authors should be able to switch views for modules on the page. Not the template switch for page.
2. Content authors should be able use any module on any page
3. Content authors should be able to switch the order of these modules on any page