Don't know what to do...

kell...@yahoo.com

Dec 14, 2017, 1:01:50 PM12/14/17
to dotCMS User Group
I have a website and database to use and want to install on Localhost

I don't see any installation files only folders on extracting tar file on computer...

It is all so strange to me...

What do I do for a simple installation on a server on localhost?

Thanks...I would like to try this...

Nathan Keiter

Dec 14, 2017, 1:17:30 PM12/14/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com

It is very simple. No installer needed. The distribution is pre-compiled and ready for use. You simply extract the files to a directory of your choice. Then modify the configuration plugin to point to your database. Then run the startup script. It will actually run “out of the box” with no database connection, but that is not recommended for regular use.

https://dotcms.com/docs/latest/quick-start-guide

https://dotcms.com/docs/latest/installing-from-release

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer | Benefits Advisory Council Member | I.D.E.A Council Member
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993

https://www.gettysburg.edu

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

vmmc...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2017, 2:54:48 PM12/18/17
to dotCMS User Group
I am a newbie to doing any mysql installation....I managed to find and edit the content.xml and uncommenting out the mysqldb part and put in my user name and password. I changed the url to the database localhost/dotCMS (which is the name I gave it)  But no clear instruction of what to do next...I do not know how to open a cpanel window to run commands on my server...So all these commands given in instructions mean nothing to me...The instructions need to be written for a complete idiot like me to be able to not only find the files, but operate them and such...

At this point I have the 4 folders that come with the installation on the server...and no CLEAR commands as what file to run and where and how...Please don't give a quick vague and assuming response to help me...I sure hope after all this prouble it is a great CMS...

Nathan Keiter

Dec 18, 2017, 3:19:48 PM12/18/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com

I can’t speak much to MySQL, as we run Oracle. Did you look at the documentation?

https://dotcms.com/docs/latest/database-configuration#MySQL

As far as dotCMS, assuming a linux environment:

Navigate to the folder you extracted dotCMS to.

cd /folder/you/extracted/dotCMS/

Update the file permissions:

chmod 755 ./bin/*.sh

chmod 755 dotserver/tomcat-8.0.18/bin/*.sh

Then deploy your configuration plugin:

sh bin/deploy-plugins.sh

Then start up dotCMS:

sh bin/startup.sh

You can monitor the system log here. There can be a delay, but it will eventually be written to.

tail -n 1000 -f ./dotserver/tomcat-8.0.18/webapps/ROOT/dotsecure/logs/dotcms.log

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer | Benefits Advisory Council Member | I.D.E.A Council Member
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993

https://www.gettysburg.edu

vmmc...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2017, 4:00:23 PM12/18/17
to dotCMS User Group
Ok Nathan, I am glad your trying to help, BUT...

You mention here:

Then deploy your configuration plugin:

sh bin/deploy-plugins.sh

Then start up dotCMS:

sh bin/startup.sh

How do I run these?

From the location bar in a browser?

I do not know how to run commands

Nathan Keiter

Dec 18, 2017, 4:06:38 PM12/18/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com

In a shell window. Typically SSH or telnet.  Cloud servers may offer different ways.  What kind of server are you running and where? Local network? Cloud server? Local machine/Mac?

https://www.ssh.com/ssh/

https://aws.amazon.com/cli/