Content Import Failing - Excel Format

Christopher Moudy

Aug 19, 2021, 1:13:01 PM8/19/21
to dotCMS User Group
Does anyone have any experience getting the content importer to actually work? We have a newly created environment with plenty of horsepower yet more often than not imports are not working and just leave a blank white screen. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Mark Pitely

Aug 19, 2021, 1:23:26 PM8/19/21
to dot...@googlegroups.com
It can be finicky; I have never used anything but .csv (not excel).
When you do the test import, make sure you get 100% connection. Also, if you are working off of a previous export, remove the identifier field.
I have also had luck cutting up the file into smaller versions (i.e. 100 lines) to make sure it is working before trying with a bigger import.
If there is a ton of data already there in the content structure, that can be a real issue - I've also had luck with exporting all the original content, merging, killing all the content, then doing a clean update.
If you could tell us how many fields, how many items you are inserting, and how large the original content is (in count) that would help.
If it isn't PII/secure data, giving us your csv (or csv header and 1 line of dummy material) might point out an obvious issue.

Mark Pitely
Marywood University

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

Nathan Keiter

Aug 19, 2021, 1:44:11 PM8/19/21
to dot...@googlegroups.com
?If you tail the log, you can see if it's working or not. Large imports will take a while.

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993
https://www.gettysburg.edu<https://www.gettysburg.edu/>
________________________________

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 1:13 PM 'Christopher Moudy' via dotCMS User Group <dot...@googlegroups.com<mailto:dot...@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
Does anyone have any experience getting the content importer to actually work? We have a newly created environment with plenty of horsepower yet more often than not imports are not working and just leave a blank white screen. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

--
http://dotcms.com<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fdotcms.com&c=E,1,vkoU6RcsKBeWX9CzFLgLoPsS3wbt8F66d9D793pCHUjvDZP6vdpXkxXmvSQ1uRc6MwRx2si3e9X3G_aFYIpCnl0hG7kdKV60mWYrjP16fIYR5kE,&typo=1> - Open Source Java Content Management
---

--
http://dotcms.com<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fdotcms.com&c=E,1,aox2DSc7_PWzjngU1MzqEMOBEt_FfeH0hEt5PPFwJMuSVEO-pMtFLF5_Z1rGgcCOGRCSoD02Yia_M5k0rsvRtQNiyiJXQhdQtSKOW-WAyFfIuBQ_hpJUT6RU2yrN&typo=1> - Open Source Java Content Management
---

Daniel Silva

Aug 20, 2021, 12:45:17 PM8/20/21
to dotCMS User Group
What version of dotCMS are you running on?