[4.1.1] 4.x Cache headaches.

Nathan Keiter

Jan 4, 2018, 12:01:58 PM1/4/18
to dot...@googlegroups.com

Just a word of warning for plugin developers moving to 4.x.  The Java APIs in 4.x are highly cache dependent. This is great for server performance in the long term. However in the immediate context of a critical business process, it is problematic.

This cache dependence makes deterministic business logic algorithms nearly impossible.

For example, if I create a new “Apple” object and save it, I expect to be able to load that “Apple” object, modify it (maybe taking a bite out of it), and save it again. Unfortunately when you go to load your newly saved “Apple”, you get a null pointer exception or some other “not found” error thrown. This is because in 4.x all the APIs hit the cache, and the cache update is so slow that your code is trying to load it before the cache is updated.

The most recent example of this we encountered is using the userAPI to create a new user. A little later in the code we try to load the newly created user via the userAPI and get a null pointer exception, even though if we look in the database, the new user has in fact been created!

This issue can bite you for anything that is cached. We’ve seen it in content, relationships, and users to name a few. Content does have an isIndexed check, but it only applies to the contentlet itself, not anything related to it, i.e. relationships, permissions etc. So even that check is not reliable in the holistic sense of “Is this thing entirely cached?”

This asynchronous “eventually available” philosophy for cache is unreliable for deterministic business processes. Hack-ish solutions include adding a Java sleep to delay your program in the hopes that the cache will catch up by the time you try to load your data, or risking an infinite loop of “is it here yet?” checks. Obviously neither is ideal.

It would be nice if there was a “no-cache” API option available so we could reliably load newly created records during critical business logic blocks. Data accuracy and immediate accessibility is of utmost importance in these cases. I can afford to take a slight performance hit to check the DB. And honestly it would probably be less of a performance hit than waiting for the cache to update.

We did not have these issues in 3.x.

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer | Benefits Advisory Council Member | I.D.E.A Council Member
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993

https://www.gettysburg.edu

Will Ezell

Jan 4, 2018, 12:17:12 PM1/4/18
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Nathan:

There is nothing in 4.1x that changed or is async with regards to cache invalidations- the async changes were added in the 4.2.x series and I believe (though am not certain) they can be mostly turned off by adding REINDEX_ON_SAVE_IN_SEPARATE_THREAD=false to your dotmarketing-config.  If you are saving a user and then calling for that user and getting a null, that would be a bug (unless you are in 2 transactions).  If you share your code we would be happy to take a look and either validate it or use it to write a test and fix the case.  In fact, any code where you are seeing this case in 4.1 would be a good candidate for a test.

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

3059 Grand Avenue
Suite 410-B
Miami FL 33133
Main:
305-900-2001 | Direct: 978.294.9429

Will Ezell

Jan 4, 2018, 12:26:35 PM1/4/18
to dot...@googlegroups.com
I see the user code you submitted to support - I don't think it has anything to do with cache delay.  What is null is not the User but the instance of the UserCache.  Are you trying to use the UserFactoryLiferayImpl directly?    I think it has to do with using the impl factory UserFactoryLiferayImpl directly (statically) rather than calling the method through the UserAPI.  I think you should be calling:

APILocator.getUserAPI().loadUserById(userId)

Nathan Keiter

Jan 4, 2018, 12:29:37 PM1/4/18
to dot...@googlegroups.com

No, I am getting it via the APILocator higher up in the code.

I’ll continue with this on the support ticket.

However, like I said, typically this goes away by adding a java sleep for enough milliseconds…

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer | Benefits Advisory Council Member | I.D.E.A Council Member
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993

https://www.gettysburg.edu

3059 Grand Avenue

Suite 410-B

Miami FL 33133

Main: 305-900-2001 | Direct: 978.294.9429

--

3059 Grand Avenue

Suite 410-B

Miami FL 33133

Main: 305-900-2001 | Direct: 978.294.9429

--

http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

Nathan Keiter

Jan 4, 2018, 12:51:07 PM1/4/18
to dot...@googlegroups.com

I’ve been dealing with and researching this issue for several weeks now on two different 4.1.1 instances we have. I am very sure it’s a cache delay issue.

This does look promising: REINDEX_ON_SAVE_IN_SEPARATE_THREAD=false

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer | Benefits Advisory Council Member | I.D.E.A Council Member
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993

https://www.gettysburg.edu

Will Ezell

Nathan Keiter

Nathan Keiter

Jan 4, 2018, 2:29:06 PM1/4/18
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Here's the hack I have to use to get related content after a fresh content save due to the cache delay:

[cid:d0199436-0727-4550-bc26-207a107be322]

________________________________

Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325<https://maps.google.com/?q=2453+%7C+300+North+Washington+Street+%7C+Gettysburg,+PA+17325&entry=gmail&source=g>

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 12:01 PM, Nathan Keiter <nke...@gettysburg.edu<mailto:nke...@gettysburg.edu>> wrote:
[...]

[https://drive.google.com/a/dotcms.com/uc?id=0B4ssYEJmR0gHdEVrSXRxMmN0b0E&export=download]

3059 Grand Avenue<https://maps.google.com/?q=3059+Grand+Avenue%0D+%0D+%0D+Suite+410&entry=gmail&source=g>
Suite 410<https://maps.google.com/?q=3059+Grand+Avenue%0D+%0D+%0D+Suite+410&entry=gmail&source=g>-B
Miami FL 33133
Main: 305-900-2001<tel:(305)%20900-2001> | Direct: 978.294.9429<tel:(978)%20294-9429>

wi...@dotcms.com<mailto:wi...@dotcms.com> | dotcms.com<http://www.dotcms.com/>

[https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs172/1109987089110/img/11.png]<https://twitter.com/dotcms> [https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs172/1109987089110/img/14.png] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/dotcms> [https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs172/1109987089110/img/15.png] <https://plus.google.com/+Dotcms> [https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs172/1109987089110/img/13.png] <https://www.facebook.com/dotCMS>

[...]

Nathan Keiter

Jan 4, 2018, 2:43:16 PM1/4/18
to dot...@googlegroups.com
I only had to start using that hack after upgrading to 4.1.1.

I've timed the delay and it's often only less than 1 second.

However my code is running faster than that.

So the thread config option might help there.

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer | Benefits Advisory Council Member | I.D.E.A Council Member
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993
https://www.gettysburg.edu

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dotcms/1515094138513.66485%40gettysburg.edu.

Nathan Keiter

Jan 4, 2018, 2:46:58 PM1/4/18
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Of course there's other times where the delay is several seconds. It's like Schrödinger's cat, you never know until you try to look. The 10,000 try loop is usually long enough to find it.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dotcms/311307b6084546b0949e0409ff300dac%40exch13b.ms.gettysburg.edu.

Nathan Keiter

Jan 4, 2018, 2:50:00 PM1/4/18
to dot...@googlegroups.com
The "isInodeIndexed" call is actually useless here and should be removed. Because it's actually the relationship we need to be indexed, not the content. It doesn't hurt to be there though, just haven't had time to remove it yet.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dotcms/3f8093460cfb4b32ad736fb6e2eb6360%40exch13b.ms.gettysburg.edu.