about efficiency in dotcms

mlo...@cdt.com.ar

Sep 7, 2017, 5:10:04 PM9/7/17
to dotCMS User Group

how many concurrent users does it support?
how many transactions per second the tool supports?
what are the minimum hardware requirements?
the solution provides load balancer?
Does not leave idle resources eg passive failover?
It supports scaling of the processing and storage capacity in vertica?l form (putting hardware with greater capacity)
Supports scaling of processing and storage capacity horizontally? (adding more nodes in parallel)
Supports scaling on demand (without stopping the system) ?

Chris Falzone

Sep 11, 2017, 2:08:21 PM9/11/17
to dotCMS User Group
Sorry, I hate to RTFM you, but honestly, these questions could all be easily answered by browsing their documentation for 10-15 mins.

> how many concurrent users does it support?
> how many transactions per second the tool supports?
The questions to these questions really depend on how much resources you are going to pay for.  Using dotCMS clustering and/or push publishing combined with the ability to auto-wire new nodes and something like AWS backing it, there are patterns to support (theoretically) unlimited.
See:  https://dotcms.com/docs/latest/cluster-setup

what are the minimum hardware requirements?

the solution provides load balancer?
No.  This is not a really a function of a CMS.  You need to provide you own load-balancing solution.

> Does not leave idle resources eg passive failover?
I am not sure I fully understand the question, but again, this is not really a function of a CMS.  You would need to implement this in your scaling solution.  For instance, AWS can auto-scale for you and turn down resources that are no longer needed.  dotCMS does allow you to auto-wire, as I mentioned, and is capable of adjusting to changes in its cluster.

> It supports scaling of the processing and storage capacity in vertica?l form (putting hardware with greater capacity)
Yes, to a limit of course.  You get diminishing returns after a while, which is solved by scaling horizontally.

> Supports scaling of processing and storage capacity horizontally? (adding more nodes in parallel)
> Supports scaling on demand (without stopping the system) ?
Yes, see previously linked documentation.

Hope it helps!

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management