Java 9 & dotcms startup not working

jayha...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2017, 9:33:40 AM11/12/17
to dotCMS User Group
Hello,

I have few questions that someone might be able to help me out with.

  1. The install from release mentions that you must use Java JDK 1.8.  Notice on the Java webpage, there is a 9.0 and an 8.0.  I'm assuming that the 8.0 is 1.8?  Also, would the most recent 9.0 work with the dotcms community download?
  2. After I downloaded 9.0 originally for windows I set up the environmental variable as the following: JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-9.0.1  (I'm not sure if this is correct or not.  I know that the Java support says to also go to Path under environmental variables and add C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-9.0.1\bin to the top.  The path already displays C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath  (does this still need to be here or replaced?)
  3. After downloading dotcms and unzipping it to my desktop, I go to dotcms - bin - startup and when I select to run (it looks like the command prompt screen flashes quickly then goes away and nothing happens).  I have the file unzipped on my desktop, but cannot install dotcms to run on my computer.  Should I be doing something different?  I'm running off a 64 bit system using windows 10 (64).       Please help if you can.  Thank you and much appreciated

Nathan Keiter

Nov 13, 2017, 9:02:14 AM11/13/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com

First off, “Java 8 “ is version 1.8 and if the dotCMS documentation says to use that, you must use that. The distribution is pre-compiled for Java 1.8

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer | Benefits Advisory Council Member | I.D.E.A Council Member
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993

https://www.gettysburg.edu

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management