All page assets returning 404 Page not found error after dotCMS upgrade

dile...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2017, 10:26:48 AM11/8/17
to dotCMS User Group
Hi,

We upgraded a dotCMS instance from 3.7.1 to 4.2.0

The upgrade went fine, all SQL scripts etc. have been executed successfully.

But there is one major issue that we couldn't solve. Every page that we try to visit returns a 404 Page not found error.

For example when we try to visit the homepage we get a 404, when we try to visit a different page such as the contact page we also get a 404. It doesn't matter which page we try to visit, every page in the front-end returns a 404.

Even if we login to dotCMS and try to visit the page via the site browser it returns a 404.

However, the dotCMS admin panel works fine, this means we are able to login to dotCMS and we can view our content, structures, portlets etc. But visiting Page Assets doesn't work.

We checked the dotCMS and wrapper logs, and no exceptions or errors are thrown. So we are not getting feedback either.

Did anyone experience this before or could anyone tell us how we can solve this?

The assets folder etc. is present and all permissions are set correctly.

Thank you.

Nathan Keiter

Nov 8, 2017, 10:29:24 AM11/8/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com

Did you do a full reindex after upgrading?

Sounds like a bad index.

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer | Benefits Advisory Council Member | I.D.E.A Council Member
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993

https://www.gettysburg.edu

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

dile...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2017, 10:31:18 AM11/8/17
to dotCMS User Group
Hi Nathan,

Yes, we full reindexed multiple times already. We even cleared the dotsecure folder (except the licenses) to make this even sure. Restarting dotCMS didn't also make a difference.

Thanks.

Nathan Keiter

Nov 8, 2017, 10:33:06 AM11/8/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com

Did you upgrade all your page assets to page contentlets?

I can’t remember, but at some point that may have been required as page assets are deprecated.

dile...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2017, 10:42:21 AM11/8/17
to dotCMS User Group
Hi Nathan,

I think you are referring to https://dotcms.com/docs/latest/upgrading-to-dotcms-4-0#RemovedFeatures (latest point: "Legacy HTML Pages")? This was the case for dotCMS versions prior to version 3.1 and we never had that version (started with dotCMS 3.6).

When I go to the content overview in dotCMS and select "Page Asset" from the dropdown, I see a listing of all the Page Assets.

Thanks.

Nathan Keiter

Nov 8, 2017, 10:45:01 AM11/8/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com

Ok. I have one more idea. Flush all caches.

If that doesn’t help, I don’t know what else to do. Perhaps a dotCMS team member can help.

No errors in the log?

dile...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2017, 10:47:42 AM11/8/17
to dotCMS User Group
We already did that multiple times as well, no result.

The strange part is that no exceptions or errors are occurring (at least not visible in any of the log files).

Thank you.

Nathan Keiter

Nov 8, 2017, 10:50:29 AM11/8/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com

One of the guys on my team said maybe it’s a Tomcat configuration issue; web.xml, server.xml etc. File permissions ok on the box?

4.x does ship with a new version of Tomcat I believe.  However if you are running from distribution and deployed via the provided scripts, I’m not sure how it would get corrupted.

Mark Pitely

Nov 8, 2017, 10:51:21 AM11/8/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Are you using a non-standard html page extension? (i.e. .dot or something) else? Or no page extension?

Mark Pitely
Marywood University

Will Ezell

Nov 8, 2017, 10:52:17 AM11/8/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com
What license level and db are you using?  We found an issue with that in 4.2.0 that is going to necessitate a hotfix or a move to an upcoming 4.2.1 release if you are being bit by it.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dotcms/87a5a5af-240d-419e-87ec-be545722f420%40googlegroups.com.

http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

3059 Grand Avenue
Suite 410-B
Miami FL 33133
Main:
305-900-2001 | Direct: 978.294.9429

dile...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2017, 12:40:21 PM11/8/17
to dotCMS User Group
We use .html as extension, example: page title Contact and url contact.html

dile...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2017, 12:41:39 PM11/8/17
to dotCMS User Group
Op woensdag 8 november 2017 16:52:17 UTC+1 schreef Will Ezell:
> What license level and db are you using?  We found an issue with that in 4.2.0 that is going to necessitate a hotfix or a move to an upcoming 4.2.1 release if you are being bit by it.
>

> https://github.com/dotCMS/core/pull/13009/commits/92608458ef77dbe4f42b5f26f1ae89d3e2efe552
>

> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Nathan Keiter <nke...@gettysburg.edu> wrote:
>

> Did you upgrade all your page assets to page contentlets?
>

> I can’t remember, but at some point that may have been required as page assets are deprecated.
>

> Nathan I. Keiter
> |
> Lead Network Applications Programmer
> |
> Benefits Advisory Council Member
> |
> I.D.E.A Council Member
>
> Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
>
> Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
>
> Phone: 717.337.6993
>
> https://www.gettysburg.edu
>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dotcms/87a5a5af-240d-419e-87ec-be545722f420%40googlegroups.com.

> http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management
>
> ---

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dotcms/e9511d978bd24d03939669d61d1c9f5f%40exch13c.ms.gettysburg.edu.

> 3059 Grand Avenue
> Suite 410-B
> Miami FL 33133Main: 305-900-2001 | Direct: 978.294.9429
>
> wi...@dotcms.com | dotcms.com

Professional with MSSQL database. We are facing 404 errors, but the commit seems to fix a redirect to no license error page?

Will Ezell

Nov 8, 2017, 12:52:04 PM11/8/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Does that no_license.jsp exist?

3059 Grand Avenue
Suite 410-B
Miami FL 33133
Main:
305-900-2001 | Direct: 978.294.9429

Maarten Daalder

Nov 8, 2017, 3:41:23 PM11/8/17
to dotCMS User Group
Hi Will,

But perhaps there is a filter/rewrite rule that ought to have properly redirected to it?

With kind regards,
Maarten Daalder
ISAAC
Does that no_license.jsp exist?

dile...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2017, 3:33:47 AM11/9/17
to dotCMS User Group
Hi Will,

That file is present, I think this is a different issue.

Op woensdag 8 november 2017 18:52:04 UTC+1 schreef Will Ezell:
Does that no_license.jsp exist?

dile...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2017, 8:17:33 AM11/9/17
to dotCMS User Group
Update:

When upgrading from dotCMS 3.7.1 to 4.1.1 everything works fine.

But when we upgrade from dotCMS 3.7.1 to 4.2.0 we get these 404 errors.

We also tried upgrading first to dotCMS 4.1.1 and afterwards from 4.1.1 to 4.2.0, but that causes also 404 errors.

It seems like there is something not going ok with the 4.2.0 release?

Reindexing is also 10 times slowed in 4.2.0 compared to 4.1.1 (all localhost)

Thanks.

Will Ezell

Nov 9, 2017, 8:38:41 AM11/9/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Please try a trial license to see if that has any effect.  If not, something else is going on - perhaps something with the new vanity urls?  I would reach out to support for a closer look.

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

dile...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2017, 10:09:55 AM11/14/17
to dotCMS User Group
An update on this issue: this seems to be resolved in dotCMS 4.2.1.