creating 10k folders/sites

Neeladri Mondal

May 25, 2021, 7:07:57 AM5/25/21
to dotCMS User Group
Hi,

Does dotCMS has the capability of accommodating 10k sites in one instance? These 10k sites are 1 page micro sites. Can someone help with the feasibility

Regards
Reo

John Michael Thomas

May 25, 2021, 7:44:50 AM5/25/21
to dotCMS User Group
While you could theoretically do this as 10k different sites within dotCMS (the only real limits are the hardware), it would probably be much easier and simpler to maintain by having a single site within dotCMS, and using some form of redirect to map each external domain to one page (or even one content item using a URL Map) within dotCMS.

Note that while you can have aliases for dotCMS sites (so more than one domain can serve the same dotCMS site), aliases wouldn't work for this case, because you can't have that many aliases on a site.  And you wouldn't really need to use aliases anyway, since if you have only one site, that's the site that will get served by default (if a request gets to the IP address of the machine dotCMS is running on, dotCMS will serve the default site even if the request is for a domain that isn't recognized).

Instead, you'd probably want to have a single home page, and have code on the home page that checks the header to see which domain was being accessed, and then redirect to the page for that domain (again, probably using a URL map, so each micro-site is really a single piece of content, not a whole separate page).  You could even do this without a redirect, by using the domain in the header as a key to a content pull.

This is all off the top of my head, so no guarantees this would work.  But it's the first approach I'd try if this was a problem I needed to solve.

Mark Pitely

May 25, 2021, 9:24:45 AM5/25/21
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Good advice from John; I would definitely try using the Urlmap options to do this.
With a well written template and some code, you could absolutely serve 10,000 different appearing single-page sites.
The only issue I can see are domain issues. as long as they share the same domain (  manysite.org/siteone, manysite.org/sitetwo) it would be pretty easy.
I mean, unless you are going to pay out for 10,000 domain names, which sounds prohibitive.

You can use some js to 'overwrite' the URL address bar without changing the site -which would give you the appearance of multiple domains, and might push you over the finish line.
I also think that some of the domain resellers (godaddy) also give you the option of forging/proxying the domain name.
window.history.pushState("object or string", "Title", "/new-url");
Which would allow you to do your 10,000 domains (perhaps you are interested in selling that many) instead of 'redirecting' as John stated.
You'll definitely need some sort of internal analytics.

Mark Pitely
Marywood University

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management