New dotmarketing-config.properties cache question

Joe Moyers

Oct 23, 2017, 8:25:39 AM10/23/17
to dotCMS User Group
I'm going to upgrade my dotCMS instance from 3.2.3 to 3.7.2 and noticed in the dotmarketing-config.properties file the Available Cache Region has changed.

I looked at the ChangeLogs and saw there was the change, but would like to know if i should still use the 'old' Available Cache Regions like i do in version 3.2.3? (The entries are all commented out in version 3.7.2 - example is below)

Thank you

## Region Specific Guava cache setting Settings
cache.concurrencylevel=32
cache.adminconfigpool.size=100
cache.companypool.size=10
cache.contentletcache.size=5000
cache.csscache.size=2500
cache.fileassetmetadatacache.size=200
cache.identifiercache.size=50000
cache.indiciescache.size=8
cache.logmappercache.size=10
cache.navcache.size=1000
cache.parentpermissionablecache.size=10000
cache.permissioncache.size=50000
cache.portletpool.size=100
cache.publishingendpointcache.size=100
cache.pushedassetscache.size=5000
cache.structurecache.size=500
cache.templatecache.size=500
cache.translatedquerycache.size=5000
cache.velocityuservtlcache.size=500
cache.versioncache.size=50000
cache.versioninfocache.size=50000
cache.workflowactioncache.size=10000
cache.workflowtaskcache.size=10000
cache.shorty.size=25000
cache.identifier404cache.size=5000
cache.virtuallinkscache.size=25000

#Available cache regions
#cache.actionscache.size=1000
#cache.blockdirectivecache.size=1000
#cache.blockdirectivehtmlpagecache.size=1000
#cache.categorybykeycache.size=1000
#cache.categorycache.size=1000
#cache.categorychildrencache.size=1000
#cache.categoryparentscache.size=1000
#cache.conditionscache.size=1000
#cache.conditionsgroupconditionscache.size=1000
#cache.conditionsgroupscache.size=1000
#cache.containercache.size=1000
#cache.containerstructurecache.size=1000
#cache.dotcmslayoutcache.size=1000
#cache.dotcmsrolecache.size=1000
#cache.dotcmsrolekeycache.size=1000
#cache.dotcmsrootrolescache.size=1000
#cache.dotcmsuserrolecache.size=1000
etc...

Jason Tesser

Oct 23, 2017, 9:33:03 AM10/23/17
to dotCMS User Group
are you just talking about the the size meaning the number in cache.

FWIW I would keep your current numbers if they are not hurting you. Not sure if you ever configured them or just running default

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

3059 Grand Avenue
Suite 410-B
Miami FL 33133
Main:
305-900-2001 | Direct: 978.294.9429

Joe Moyers

Oct 23, 2017, 10:15:14 AM10/23/17
to dotCMS User Group
Hello Jason,

I've modified the Cache Region settings for our current 3.2.3 dotCMS version.  When i upgraded my development box to version 3.7.2, i noticed the 'Available Cache Regions' section was commented out and was going to uncomment each line and match what is currently in my version 3.2.3 Available Cache Region.

I just wasn't sure if uncommenting each line and matching what is in my 3.2.3 version with my 3.7.2 version was ok for me to do.  I'm upgrading on the same box.

thank you

Will Ezell

Oct 23, 2017, 11:20:20 AM10/23/17
to dot...@googlegroups.com
The big difference between 3.2 and 3.7 caches is how the default region works.  Say you set your cache.default.size=1000.  In 3.2, that meant dotCMS would create single "default" cache bucket that could hold 1000 of all different types of cached objects that did not have a region specified - objects that could be large or small.  This made the cache difficult to tune as it was impossible to know what objects were in the default bucket and what their specific hit rates were.

In 3.7, the default region is more like a template the cache will use when creating a region that does not have any specific definition.  This means that each object that does not have a cache region defined will end up with a region that can hold 1000 of the specific cached objects.  This gives much clearer insight into what regions need specific tuning. And also means that you do not need a specific definition for any cache that can be served by the default region "template".

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dotcms/4621fc2b-a605-4bac-af88-828ec1acf022%40googlegroups.com.

http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

3059 Grand Avenue
Suite 410-B