Annual (?) Mapping Tools Virtual Workshop

Joseph Malloch

Aug 3, 2021, 9:34:15 PM8/3/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I think we should hold another meeting/workshop on the mapping tools and make this an annual event :)

If you are interested in participating, please let me know:
a) availability during the last week of August (23–27)
b) whether you would like to present some work or lead a discussion on a particular topic.

Some suggested topics (and presenters?):
– library updates (Joe)
– Godot & Unity integration (Logan)
– MediaPipe integration (Matt)
– Bela integration (Matt)
– MapLooper (Mathias)
– package managers (Steve)
– embedded libmapper for GuitarAMI, Probatio, T-Sticks, TorqueTuner, etc. (Edu)
– Bridging to MIDI 2.0 (Travis)
– map/filter/reduce syntax and functionality (Joe, Travis?)

Cheers,
Joe

Edu Meneses

Aug 4, 2021, 10:25:45 AM8/4/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'd love to participate, but I'll be out of town the last week of August. Is there any particular reason not to do it first or second week of September? Maybe we can even gather more public as the academic year will be on.

Cheers,

Edu Meneses
McGill University | Ph.D. Researcher
Input Devices and Music Interaction Laboratory | IDMIL
Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology | CIRMMT

Edu Meneses

Michal Seta

Aug 4, 2021, 3:20:34 PM8/4/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested to join as a lurker!
Michał

Travis West

Aug 5, 2021, 5:31:23 AM8/5/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
I would definitely be interested to participate. I am available at any of the proposed times.

I would also suggest some additional topics for discussion or presentation:

- tutorial on how the expression engine works under the hood (Joe?)
- potential for using libmapper as an intra-process callback system (Travis)

Regarding MIDI 2.0 I would be happy to lead a discussion. Not much to report in the way of actual progress, but it could be interesting to chat about why that is the case and what we might do about it...

TW

Michael Palumbo

Aug 5, 2021, 9:57:44 AM8/5/21
to dot_mapper
Echoing Michael Seta, I too would like to attend and listen in.

Stephen Sinclair

Aug 8, 2021, 10:33:37 AM8/8/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Great idea Joe. I'll be away most of that week on holiday, maybe back
by Friday the 27th but not sure. So, September would be better for me
also. But, I don't think I have much to present haha, just played
around with some Python tooling a bit. Maybe 10 mins max if anything
just to show something working. But I'm interested to hear updates
from everyone!

Steve

mathias...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2021, 7:59:08 AM8/9/21
to dot_mapper
Hi,

Great idea with an annual event! I'm available in the last week of August and would like to give a short presentation of MapLooper.

Mathias

Joseph Malloch

Aug 10, 2021, 10:56:05 PM8/10/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear that there is interest :)

I’m fine with holding the workshop in early September if that works for everyone. Would Sept 1-3 work?

@Steve: you don’t have to make a presentation, but it would be great if you would like to lead a discussion about package managers.
@Johnty: would you be interested in talking about mapping over VPN?

Joe

Edu Meneses

Aug 12, 2021, 10:31:35 AM8/12/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'm busy Sept 1st, but available 2nd and 3rd.

Cheers,

Edu Meneses
McGill University | Ph.D. Researcher
Input Devices and Music Interaction Laboratory | IDMIL
Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology | CIRMMT

Joseph Malloch

Aug 19, 2021, 1:17:25 PM8/19/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
I suggest we hold the workshop on Thursday September 2 – does that work for everybody? Please let me know your time zone if you would like to attend so we can find a time that works for all.

Joe

Mathias Bredholt

Aug 19, 2021, 3:32:10 PM8/19/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

September 2nd does not work for me. Sorry for the late response, I’m only available on the 1st unfortunately.

Cheers,
Mathias

Joseph Malloch

Aug 24, 2021, 10:05:34 AM8/24/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi all – please fill in the workshop scheduling poll below if you are interested in attending:

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph Malloch

Aug 30, 2021, 1:12:56 PM8/30/21
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi all – currently it looks like both Thursday 2 Sept at 15:00 UTC and Friday 3 Sept at 15:00 UTC will work. If you haven’t filled in the scheduling poll and have a preference between these two times please fill in your preferences:

Thanks!
Joe