Cannot set Label for drive in network mode

phpeter

Jan 20, 2021, 5:36:39 PM1/20/21
to Dokan
I have mounted my Dokan drive using the DokanOptions.NetworkDrive option, and the label for the drive is "Network Drive (Y:)". I'd like to use a custom label, and have tried setting it via the registry key at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\Y (as well as Y:, #Y, #Y: per this thread) but have not been able to get the label to change from "Network Drive".

Additionally, I noticed if I mount using DokanOptions.RemovableDrive option, the label that I set in Dokan's "GetVolumeInformation()" method displays properly.

Is there a way to set the label for the Dokan drive when in NetworkDrive mode? Or is this not possible?

Thank you,
Peter

Adrien JUND

Jan 21, 2021, 1:56:40 AM1/21/21
to do...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Your device has a label. It is just not shown by explorer.
What is more common for network drives is a UNC. If you set one, it will be displayed by explorer.

phpeter

Jan 21, 2021, 11:48:39 AM1/21/21
to Dokan
That worked for me, thank you!

Are there any other side-effects of setting a UNC for the drive? Or do you have documentation on mounting the drive with a UNC set vs without a UNC set?

Adrien JUND

Jan 21, 2021, 12:12:18 PM1/21/21
to do...@googlegroups.com
We do not have much documentation about that. Microsoft doc will be a better source to exactly know what Iis a UNC. Globally, a UNC gives the ability for you drive to be accessed by \\myfs\dokan1
It is even mandatory for a proper usage of network drive.
Next major version of dokan will even force people to us one for network drive.

phpeter

Jan 21, 2021, 12:17:11 PM1/21/21
to Dokan
Ok that is helpful, thank you!