Asynchoronous programming and websockets support

murats...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2018, 8:24:17 PM1/11/18
to Django users
Hello Django community,

This is my first post so forgive me if this is out of context or have been discussed already.

I've been working with Django for many years and although have the neccesary experience with Javascript I don't want to use NodeJS (Express) as a backend framework because I simply really enjoy development with Django.

I believe that there is a growing demand within the community for Asynchronous programming ability and Websocket support within Django without using a mixture of Tornado, Twisted or Channels. Pretty much all other frameworks are offering Asynchronous support so do we have a plan in place for this as Django Community?

Regards

Murat

Mike Dewhirst

Jan 11, 2018, 10:56:24 PM1/11/18
to Django users
On 12/01/2018 11:05 AM, murats...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Django community,
>
> This is my first post so forgive me if this is out of context or have
> been discussed already.
>
> I've been working with Django for many years and although have the
> neccesary experience with Javascript I don't want to use NodeJS
> (Express) as a backend framework because I simply really enjoy
> development with Django.
>
> I believe that there is a growing demand within the community for
> Asynchronous programming ability and Websocket support within Django
> without using a mixture of Tornado, Twisted or Channels.

I believe Channels is becoming part of Django so it has been anointed.
If you haven't already seen this it might answer some of you questions ...

https://channels.readthedocs.io/en/latest/faqs.html

> Pretty much all other frameworks are offering Asynchronous support so
> do we have a plan in place for this as Django Community?
>
> Regards
>
> Murat
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/b4b641d6-1b74-4fd3-8533-8b1a7629b33d%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/b4b641d6-1b74-4fd3-8533-8b1a7629b33d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Andrew Godwin

Jason

Jan 12, 2018, 7:07:20 AM1/12/18
to Django users
Andrew, what's the difference between an official Django project and being merged into django core?  IIRC, Kenneth Reitz of requests objects to adding that lib to python core because of the frequency updates due to security patches.  According to what I read, he feels (and I agree) that updating a package version is much easier than updating a language version, and allows more frequent releases.

Is this similar to your thinking as well?

Jason

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 1:19:37 AM UTC-5, Andrew Godwin wrote:
[...]

Andrew Godwin

Jan 12, 2018, 11:02:02 AM1/12/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
It's something like that. Django core itself is very stable and slow and dependable, among other things, and it's still not clear even in the industry at large how people are actually going to _use_ WebSockets and other async-requiring things, though that is at least now improving.

There's also a severe lack of people willing to sit down and work on this stuff as it's super hard and I'm currently a bit burnt out on my capacity to train up new people on it, though I'd like to get back to that point by the end of the year.

Andrew

murats...@gmail.com