pip install Django==3.0

אורי

Dec 2, 2019, 11:06:18 AM12/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Django users,

When I use pip to install a package, does it depend on the version of Python I'm using?

pip install Django==3.0 fails with Python 3.5:

But it succeeds with Python 3.6 and 3.7. I noticed that Django 3.0 doesn't support Python 3.5. But why does pip fail?

John McClain

Dec 2, 2019, 11:13:56 AM12/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
try without specifying version
try without using pip

what ide are you using

John McClain

Cell: 085-1977-823
Skype: jmcclain0129

JP Smith

Dec 2, 2019, 11:22:44 AM12/2/19
to Django users
Django 3.0 does not support Python 3.5:

Ramiro Morales

Dec 2, 2019, 11:22:51 AM12/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com

Ramiro Morales
@ramiromorales

JP Smith

Dec 2, 2019, 11:26:06 AM12/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Django 3.0 does not support Python 3.5 .

Simon Charette

Dec 2, 2019, 2:23:59 PM12/2/19
to Django users
Dear Uri,

> When I use pip to install a package, does it depend on the version of Python I'm using?

Yes, it does.

> I noticed that Django 3.0 doesn't support Python 3.5. But why does pip fail?

Pip will respect the supported version metadata of the package. There's no package available for the Django
and Python version constraints you provided.

Instead of getting a non-nonsensical SyntaxError crash when trying to run Django on Python 3.5 pip prevents
you from shooting yourself in the foot in the first place.

Simon

Abu Yusuf

Dec 2, 2019, 11:20:23 PM12/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
django-3.png
They clearly mentioned here.

photo
Abu Yusuf
Jr. Software Engineer at  Binate Solutions Ltd.
Dhaka, Bangladesh
01828689381
revely...@gmail.com
https://yusuff.dev
Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/yusuf-dev/
live:9151cfda40e05eef

אורי

Dec 3, 2019, 1:03:34 AM12/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:24 PM Simon Charette <chare...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Uri,

> When I use pip to install a package, does it depend on the version of Python I'm using?

Yes, it does.

> I noticed that Django 3.0 doesn't support Python 3.5. But why does pip fail?

Pip will respect the supported version metadata of the package. There's no package available for the Django
and Python version constraints you provided.

Instead of getting a non-nonsensical SyntaxError crash when trying to run Django on Python 3.5 pip prevents
you from shooting yourself in the foot in the first place.

Simon

Thank you. I didn't know that pip is that "smart" to check the version of Python I'm using. Good to know.