Windows users: do the line endings created by startproject/startapp matter?

Tim Graham

Oct 12, 2016, 7:43:14 PM10/12/16
to Django users
There's an old ticket [0] noting that startproject/app create files with Unix line endings, even on WIndows. My question is whether or not this matters. Some things I thought of:

I think version control programs like Git usually normalize line endings anyway.

The proposed change only applies to Python files that the template commands are rewriting, not to any other text-based files such as template files (the default project/app templates don't have any, but custom project/app templates might).

Does makemigrations (and any other management commands that write files) already have this behavior?

Thanks for your feedback so we can best spend our time.

Mike Dewhirst

Oct 12, 2016, 7:54:03 PM10/12/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had any such problems. I develop on Windows and deploy on
Linux. Editors and repos look after all that.

If I did have a problem I would consider it my own responsibility to
choose a different set of tools to resolve it.

Not a Django issue IMO.

Cheers (and thanks!)

Mike