Timer for online examination

Arindam sarkar

Nov 17, 2015, 1:29:02 AM11/17/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
I am developing an online examination website. And having difficulty implementing the timer .
Any one have done it or something related to countdown timer in django ?

Arindam

Contact no. 08732822385

Jani Tiainen

Nov 17, 2015, 2:42:27 AM11/17/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you're looking something magical there isn't anything. Just declare expiracy timestamp and compare against it in code. It should be rather trivial to do with JS down counter to UI for mode concrete feedback to end user.

But keep final word of expiracy in Django code.

Robin Lery

Nov 17, 2015, 2:48:17 AM11/17/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I think you will  have to implement jquery/javascript to make the timer. After the countdown finishes js can post the form automatically.

Cheers.

Jani Tiainen

Nov 17, 2015, 6:23:48 AM11/17/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

As I said, on client side doing timer requires javascript usage. But it doesn't remove need to actually make sure that no-one can manipulate duration of exam.

It's really trivial to have piece of javascript that would render plain javascript timer useless (like you could fill out form forever).

So to make sure cheating doesnt happen - at the moment exam is created exam end time should be recorderd on server side as well (in database for example). So even someone manages to hack the js (which is really simple) they can't overcome limitation from the server.

Like the rule #1 in web development says - "Never trust user input".

Robin Lery

Nov 17, 2015, 7:56:24 AM11/17/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's true.

bobhaugen

Nov 17, 2015, 8:43:02 AM11/17/15
to Django users
On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 12:29:02 AM UTC-6, Arindam sarkar wrote:
I am developing an online examination website. And having difficulty implementing the timer .
Any one have done it or something related to countdown timer in django ?

Here is an example of what everybody is telling you to do in javascript:

Look for runTime and retryTimer

bobhaugen

Nov 18, 2015, 8:49:40 AM11/18/15
to Django users
That should have been runTimer and retryTimer