Volunteer wanted: convert Mathics Django from 1.x to 2.x or 3.x

rocky.b...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2020, 3:25:43 PM9/15/20
to Django users
Mathics is a general-purpose computer algebra system (CAS). It is an open-source alternative to Mathematica. It is free both as in "free beer" and as in "freedom".

With installation, it comes with a very simple Django web interface to enter expressions and show them. (There is also a Jupyter interface in the works as well as plain-old command line.)

Mathics has had a long hiatus of inactivity, but we'd ike to bring it to life again. It was written in the Django 1.x era and it shoud be upgraded to Django 2.x or even better 3.x. Since the Django part isn't that involved I imagine it is a simple thing to do.

Any volunteers?

The git repository is at https://github.com/mathics/Mathics/

Thanks.

Ogunsanya Opeyemi

Sep 16, 2020, 1:47:30 AM9/16/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi i would like to .

OGUNSANYA OPEYEMI

Kunal Solanke

Sep 16, 2020, 2:15:37 AM9/16/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
I would like to do this too.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 11:16 Ogunsanya Opeyemi <ogunsany...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi i would like to .

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020, rocky.b...@gmail.com <rocky.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mathics is a general-purpose computer algebra system (CAS). It is an open-source alternative to Mathematica. It is free both as in "free beer" and as in "freedom".

With installation, it comes with a very simple Django web interface to enter expressions and show them. (There is also a Jupyter interface in the works as well as plain-old command line.)

Mathics has had a long hiatus of inactivity, but we'd ike to bring it to life again. It was written in the Django 1.x era and it shoud be upgraded to Django 2.x or even better 3.x. Since the Django part isn't that involved I imagine it is a simple thing to do.

Any volunteers?

The git repository is at https://github.com/mathics/Mathics/

Thanks.

OGUNSANYA OPEYEMI

Mottaz Hegaze

Sep 16, 2020, 2:40:34 AM9/16/20
to Django users

rocky.b...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2020, 6:40:48 AM9/16/20
to Django users
Thanks everyone!

rocky.b...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2020, 6:44:36 AM9/16/20
to Django users
I should also mention one other thing about this. The help documentation right now is blank. I would have tried to fix that but I don't even understand where I need to go to fix it. So if someone can explain that either in 1.x for a newer version I'd be greatful and will address this.

And if porting this is too much a problem, porting the rest of it is still a win.

rocky.b...@gmail.com

rocky.b...@gmail.com

Lokesh Kumar

Sep 16, 2020, 11:07:39 AM9/16/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Love to be a part of this.

rocky.b...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2020, 1:35:03 PM9/16/20
to Django users
Lokesh et all - all you gotta do is fork the code at https://github.com/mathics/mathics work on it and put in a PR. Others who want to work on it can put in other PR's (https://github.com/mathics/mathics/pulls) or make comments and review the code.