Adding Junk code to your django project

ashish...@exponentiadata.com

Jan 11, 2018, 7:10:44 AM1/11/18
to Django users
Hello,
I have a requirement which says that the user should not be able to read/modify my code.I thought to add some junk code to the project
is it possible??

Antonis Christofides

Jan 11, 2018, 7:25:09 AM1/11/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Instagram is written in Django; however when you use Instagram you can't see or modify the code, can you? Same thing in every web application, whether written in RoR, PHP, Java, whatever.

So what exactly do you mean? What is the "user" of your code? Why would the user be able to read/modify your code in the first place?

Regards,

Antonis

Antonis Christofides
http://djangodeployment.com

Kasper Laudrup

Jan 11, 2018, 10:29:57 AM1/11/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

On 2018-01-11 07:58, ashish...@exponentiadata.com wrote:
Assuming by "user" you mean someone who has a copy of your code, the
word you are looking for is probably "obfuscation".

This projects seems to be able to help you do that:

https://liftoff.github.io/pyminifier/

I have no experience with that project or code obfuscation in general
(and hope I'll never have to), but I hope you can find this helpful.

Kind regards,

Kasper Laudrup

Scot Hacker

Jan 11, 2018, 11:39:35 AM1/11/18
to Django users
It is possible (though not common) to distribute the compiled *.pyc files rather than the source *.py files. See the bottom of https://www.smallsurething.com/how-to-obfuscate-python-source-code/ . Back in early days of Django there was a (very expensive) commercially sold content management system that was distributed this way.

./s