“Migrate” command for manage.py not recognised when using Django 1.8

Kaya Luken

Apr 30, 2015, 12:04:38 PM4/30/15
to django...@googlegroups.com

Using "path/to/mySite/manage.py migrate" I get

Unknown command: 'migrate'
Type 'manage.py help' for usage.

Listed commands are:

changepassword
  cleanup
  compilemessages
  createcachetable
  createsuperuser
  dbshell
  diffsettings
  dumpdata
  flush
  inspectdb
  loaddata
  makemessages
  reset
  runfcgi
  runserver
  shell
  sql
  sqlall
  sqlclear
  sqlcustom
  sqlflush
  sqlindexes
  sqlinitialdata
  sqlreset
  sqlsequencereset
  startapp
  syncdb
  test
  testserver
  validate

I believe "Migrate" was added as a native command for manage.py as of Django 1.7. According to "pip list" and the package documentation I am definitely using Django 1.8 and I explicitly called the correct versions of django-admin.py and manage.py in setup.

Markus Holtermann

Apr 30, 2015, 12:07:31 PM4/30/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hey Kaya,

I suspect you have South installed and in your INSTALLED_APPS. This is not supported. South only supports Django <=1.6 -- Django >=1.7 has built-in migration support. Please see https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/migrations/#upgrading-from-south for a migration guide from South to Django migrations.

/Markus

Kaya Luken

Apr 30, 2015, 12:30:17 PM4/30/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

I don't have South installed as I am using Django 1.8, and have never used a previous version.

For the record INSTALLED_APPS == ['django.contrib.admin',
    'django.contrib.auth',
    'django.contrib.contenttypes',
    'django.contrib.sessions',
    'django.contrib.messages',
    'django.contrib.staticfiles']

As you say migration support should be built in, which is why I am having difficulty understanding the problem.

Tim Graham

Apr 30, 2015, 1:07:41 PM4/30/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
What does `manage.py --version` say?