Django channel 2: do I have to prefix value of 'type' (the listening consumer method) of group_send with consumer class name if the consumer is a different one

Arean Bbay

Jun 12, 2019, 9:24:39 PM6/12/19
to Django users
I have 2 consumers, namely StudentConsumer and InstructorConsumer.So if the url is:
ws://quizz_poll//student, it will be routed to the former.
otherwise ws://quizz_poll//instructor, then it will be routed to the latter.

Within studentConsumer is a assignQuizzz(...) method. What I want to do is to  invoke that assignQuizz of student from instructor consumer using group_send.
The problem is I don't know how. Say if I only have one consumer, then I could do from the InstructorCousumer

self.channel_layer.group_send(group_name,
                {
                    "type": "assignQuizz",
                    "message": message,
               }

In my case do I just use "type" : "StudentConsumer.assignQuizz" ?

Ahmed Ishtiaque

Jun 12, 2019, 11:43:35 PM6/12/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
If my Channels 2 knowledge serves me right, your group names for these two consumers should be unique. The group names should determine which consumer's assignQuiz method is executed.

Hope this helps!

Arean Bbay

Jun 13, 2019, 12:01:45 AM6/13/19
to Django users
Only the StudentConsumer has assignQuiz, the InstructorConsumer doesn't have.
So, you were saying so long as the method is invoked on the group that the StudentConsumer belongs to, there should be no problem?