Python +django

kemo0 king

Sep 8, 2019, 2:09:19 PM9/8/19
to Django users
I am new on programming  ,to be a programmer and getting the ability to create a web program that is one of my dreams , I have started   with python  I know little about html and css and js now I want to learn django am I on the right  way what should I learn before diving in django  I need ur help

Devdutt Bhati

Sep 8, 2019, 2:22:09 PM9/8/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6qE_uJB59c&list=PLd3UqWTnYXOnkicyzePnIg8rc2qEXgjiF
learn this videos first and after learn django get some knowledge  about python.

I’m protected online with Avast Free Antivirus. Get it here — it’s free forever.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 11:08 AM kemo0 king <akrra...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am new on programming  ,to be a programmer and getting the ability to create a web program that is one of my dreams , I have started   with python  I know little about html and css and js now I want to learn django am I on the right  way what should I learn before diving in django  I need ur help

Jani Tiainen

Sep 8, 2019, 2:27:38 PM9/8/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

You're on good track.

Using Django doesn't require much but knowing Python, HTML and CSS surely helps.

Django Girls do have excellent tutorial to get you kickstarted with Django.

CSS can be easily handled with libs like bootstrap or material ui.

What comes to programmin itself it takes a good while to learn. Few months and you will handle most tasks with rather easily.

selim atmaca

Sep 9, 2019, 7:33:36 AM9/9/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
You should learn python basics first but dont dive deep, just the basics. Then
There is a nice django video series on youtube. Search for corey schafer django. There are 17 videos in that series. If I was starting django today, definetly I would start it with that video series.

o1bigtenor

Sep 9, 2019, 7:59:07 AM9/9/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 6:33 AM selim atmaca <selim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You should learn python basics first but dont dive deep, just the basics. Then
> There is a nice django video series on youtube. Search for corey schafer django. There are 17 videos in that series. If I was starting django today, definetly I would start it with that video series.

Hopefully this isn't a thread hijacking - - - - but - - - - -
I am finding that online videos are hugely wasteful of time and would
rather have a text equivalent.
Is there such for this recommended video series?

Regards

Hani Fanous

Sep 9, 2019, 8:57:30 AM9/9/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Must admit I agree. With text you can at least try things out as you go and attempt to debug problems. With video this is almost impossible.

Hani

o1bigtenor

Sep 9, 2019, 11:58:44 AM9/9/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 7:57 AM Hani Fanous <fanou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Must admit I agree. With text you can at least try things out as you go and attempt to debug problems. With video this is almost impossible.

Agreed - - - I find most webinars could be condensed to perhaps 2 to 5
pages of text - - - - and I can read that in maybe 20 minutes if I'm
going very very slowly.
Even with complicated procedures I would prefer working from a text document.

So there are no equivalent text documents from these videos?

Perhaps one should contact the videographer? (grin!)

Regards

Mario R. Osorio

Sep 10, 2019, 9:25:39 AM9/10/19
to Django users
I must agree that video tutorials are harder to follow, specially if and when they are if at least a bit outdated. I used to hate them however; I've learned to appreciate them specially because of one reason: YOU CANNOT COPY AND PASTE.

Written tutorials don't help you go thru the full learning process and make you a master of [Ctrl]-[C] & [Ctrl]-[V] since you're not even checking the code nor make sense out of it, let alone memorizing it.

Back in the day, when written tutorials were handed to you on paper, probably as photocopy of some else's photocopy (bis), you would learn by typing the code yourself. It is online tutorials that I find not as helpful anymore.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have found lost of excellent online tutorials. The problem is that it is all too easy to copy and paste.

IMHO (and at least in programming) written tutorials are for the very first baby steps but once you've outpaced those; you need to move away from them, even if we are talking about learning a new programming language, tool, framework or paradigm.

Gerardo Palazuelos Guerrero

Sep 10, 2019, 1:04:36 PM9/10/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
hi,
Django has been a different beast for me, an .NET programmer...
You need to find your way...

Following are my go-to resources, always:
#1: (free) Djangogirls tutorial
#2: (paid) the books by https://wsvincent.com/books/    -- specially that book (green one) is an excellent resource for beginners
#3: (free to read online) Harry Percival's https://www.obeythetestinggoat.com/

Note:
I'm not affiliated or anything with those sites... it's just that those materials are helpful for me and I keep mentioning those to folks

--
Gerardo Palazuelos Guerrero

Nicholas Hatch

Sep 10, 2019, 9:19:41 PM9/10/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
If you are looking for books, any of the O’Reilly books are good. A worthwhile investment is an O’Reilly online subscription, which gives you access to all their books plus video tutorials, so you get the best of both worlds.

For the price of three or four of their technical books, you get their full library, and if you really get into this, you’ll need to dive into many other topics anyway.

Nicholas Hatch

Kevin Jay

Sep 13, 2019, 10:04:48 AM9/13/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
I also prefer text over video. However, Corey Schafer has an excellent video series that is really well done. He doesn’t waste time babbling or stumbling over words. He also provides a link to his github repo so you can let ok over the code.