raise ValueError("Missing staticfiles manifest entry for '%s'" % clean_name)

Kevin Dublin

Nov 30, 2019, 5:15:56 AM11/30/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Django Users,

It looks like from Stack Overflowing searching this is an error that people come across deploying to heroku and because I'm fairly new to Django, I think it might be something simple that I'm missing:

image.png

This is from my heroku logs. I currently have collectstatic disabled and debug collectstatic on. When I set Debug = True in my settings.py, it will load just fine but exposes variables and such when there are errors or something fails. Does anyone know why this is happening or have encountered it before? I really want to send my web app out to beta test next week.

I get this:

raise ValueError("Missing staticfiles manifest entry for '%s'" % clean_name)
ValueError: Missing staticfiles manifest entry for 'icons/favicon.ico'

I'm using whitenoise for static files and my relevant static settings are:

STATIC_ROOT = os.path.join(BASE_DIR, 'staticfiles')
STATIC_URL = "/static/"

STATICFILES_DIRS = (
    os.path.join(BASE_DIR, '../apps/core/static'),
)

STATICFILES_STORAGE = 'whitenoise.storage.CompressedStaticFilesStorage'

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've tried a number of things over the week from changing static settings to almost everything suggested on Stackoverflow. I learned to stop worrying and just get back to developing, but now I'm worrying again.

Hope you all had a great week!

Cheers,

Kevin Dublin
Etched Press Editor
Follow me @parteverything

Happiness is a state of being, just be.
Believe it, and it will be.

Integr@te System

Nov 30, 2019, 8:34:16 AM11/30/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi man,

Check on staticfile.json to see manifest at runtime, to disable error on section storage.ManifestStaticFilesStorage.manifest_strict

Kevin Dublin

Dec 2, 2019, 5:11:12 AM12/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! I had tried that, and it didn't work in the past, but the point you made about actually checking the staticfile.json led me to look for the file on Heroku through the CLI. I ran collecstatic manually, and it was fine. I go look through my config variables and sure enough late one night I had disabled collectstatic on push and had forgotten. D'oh!

All resolved.