Django Tutorials

Jasvir Singh

Oct 26, 2013, 9:05:13 AM10/26/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
I have started a series of Django tutorial for beginners. I am making
them in such a way that a user get knowledge for working on Django in
quick and efficient way.
Till now, I have completed only introduction phase.

I'll also make video tutorials for the same exercises.

Here is link of my tutorials
http://goo.gl/3jPaf7

Please review it. I need your suggestions to make them more efficient.

--
Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog: jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com

:
####[ GNU/Linux One Stanza Tip (LOST) ]#######################

Sub : To randomly play mp3 songs from a directory LOST #243

mpg123 -z /path/to/mp3s/*.mp3
This will randomly play mp3 songs from the specified folder.

####[ajitabhpandey (at) users.sourceforge.net]################
:

Pepsodent Cola

Oct 26, 2013, 11:42:24 AM10/26/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
I just glanced at the page.  My first experience was that the typography was very unpleasant for my eyes.  So I wouldn't spend much time there reading compared to this page.
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.6/intro/tutorial01/

Maybe make the text typography easier to see and read?

Mario Osorio

Oct 27, 2013, 2:50:05 PM10/27/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
From a noob:
I did not have a chance to read a lot, but I must agree with Pepsodent Cola: typography IS TERRIBLE to say the least, then again that might be the reason I could not read a lot ...

OTOH ... why not use a decent CMS to talk about django? How about starting your blog on django using pythonanywhere.com's free service, for example?

You seem to have some good articles, but you should at the very least revise your typography.

Diogene Laerce

Oct 28, 2013, 1:31:41 AM10/28/13
to django...@googlegroups.com

I find it nice. A table of contents with links to each articles would be
great. ;)

On 10/28/2013 01:50 AM, Mario Osorio wrote:
> From a noob:
> I did not have a chance to read a lot, but I must agree with Pepsodent
> Cola: typography IS TERRIBLE to say the least, then again that might
> be the reason I could not read a lot ...
>
> OTOH ... why not use a decent CMS to talk about django? How about
> starting your blog on django using pythonanywhere.com's free service,
> for example?
>
> You seem to have some good articles, but you should at the very least
> revise your typography.
>
> On Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:05:13 AM UTC-4, Jasvir Singh wrote:
>
> I have started a series of Django tutorial for beginners. I am making
> them in such a way that a user get knowledge for working on Django in
> quick and efficient way.
> Till now, I have completed only introduction phase.
>
> I'll also make video tutorials for the same exercises.
>
> Here is link of my tutorials
> http://goo.gl/3jPaf7
>
> Please review it. I need your suggestions to make them more
> efficient.
>
> --
> Jasvir Singh Grewal
> Blog: jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com
> <http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com>
>
> :
> ####[ GNU/Linux One Stanza Tip (LOST) ]#######################
>
> Sub : To randomly play mp3 songs from a directory LOST #243
>
> mpg123 -z /path/to/mp3s/*.mp3
> This will randomly play mp3 songs from the specified folder.
>
> ####[ajitabhpandey (at) users.sourceforge.net
> <http://users.sourceforge.net>]################
> :

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/13c0a384-5da6-402e-94a1-ccc9b56b732b%40googlegroups.com.

�One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.�
�Le vrai n'est pas plus s�r que le probable.�

Diogene Laerce

Jasvir Singh

Oct 28, 2013, 12:05:52 PM10/28/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Mario Osorio <nimbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From a noob:
<snip>
> You seem to have some good articles, but you should at the very least revise
> your typography.

Thanks Marlo.
Typography is on top priority now. I'll add new post after revising typography.

--

Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/

Jasvir Singh

Oct 28, 2013, 12:07:25 PM10/28/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Diogene Laerce <me_bu...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I find it nice. A table of contents with links to each articles would be
> great. ;)

Thanks Diogene.
Keep reviewing it. You comments will boost up my confidence. :)

--

Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/

Jasvir Singh

Oct 28, 2013, 12:10:01 PM10/28/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Pepsodent Cola <pepsod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe make the text typography easier to see and read?

Thanks for your suggestion. This is one the best suggestions that I
have got about my blog.
Now I am working on it.
I'll let you know when it's done. Then you can again review it. :)

--

Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/

Nigel Legg

Oct 28, 2013, 12:18:17 PM10/28/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
I have looked at this a few times, and now I have realised what was bugging me.
Because this tutorial is a series of blog posts, when you access it, you get to the most recently posted article, which may not be the article you are looking for and will not be the start of the tutorial.
I think the blog is useful for posting tips and tricks, or articles on best practice, but not necessarily for a tutorial, which should be read and worked through as a structured series from beginning to end.
So I think that it would be much more useful and accessible if it was a series of pages rather than a series of blog posts.

Cheers, Nigel
07914 740972

Jasvir Singh

Oct 28, 2013, 12:35:18 PM10/28/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Nigel Legg <nigel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have looked at this a few times, and now I have realised what was bugging

<snip>

> So I think that it would be much more useful and accessible if it was a
> series of pages rather than a series of blog posts.

Even I was thinking this too.
Soon I'll shift this content to my personal domain where there will be
complete section for these tutorials in a continues manner.

Nigel Legg

Oct 28, 2013, 12:38:48 PM10/28/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I'll take another look at it then.

Cheers, Nigel
07914 740972

Mario R. Osorio

Oct 28, 2013, 4:35:25 PM10/28/13
to django-users
I will say it again ... I DID read thru some of the articles, if at least the first few lines. I did like the feeling I get from the blog. IMHO, everyones' comment here has been for the best and you should not feel low confidence for any reason. On the contrary: Had you not received any comments, THEN you should worry!

As for the typography ... I have myself made many such mistakes as choosing totally useless typography. Now that I'm 50, with diabetes and sight issues I've come to REALLY appreciate what good ONE SIZE FITS ALL  typography is.

In a few words: Just keep your confidence up, I like what I read!

Dtb/Gby
=======
Mario R. Osorio
"... Begin with the end in mind ..."
http://www.google.com/profiles/nimbiotics

Jasvir Singh

Oct 28, 2013, 10:07:06 PM10/28/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 2:05 AM, Mario R. Osorio <nimbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>you should not feel low
> confidence for any reason. On the contrary: Had you not received any
> comments, THEN you should worry!
No, I am not feeling low. As I have already said that typography is on
top priority.
While wrting these articles, I didn't paid any attention towards
typography but It was the biggest mistake.
So, first I'll improve that, then I'll add more posts.
I'll definitely notify here when It is done so that you can review it.

Again thanks for your suggestion. :)

Jasvir Singh

Nov 4, 2013, 5:28:04 AM11/4/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Jasvir Singh <jassig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is link of my tutorials
> http://goo.gl/3jPaf7

Now these tutorials are shifted to my personal domain.
http://www.jsgrewal.com/tutorials/django/

@all, critical reviews are needed.

--

Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/

Pepsodent Cola

Nov 4, 2013, 7:03:35 AM11/4/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jasvir,

Now your website looks more 2010 than 1990.  It looks fresh and is more pleasant for the eyes for lengthy reading compared to your first website.
I might actually learn a few tricks or two when you have completed the tutorials in the future.

The only thing I'm missing now is some sort of breadcrumb navigation that tells me where I am and how much more I have to read for each chapter.

Official Django tutorials solves that by always having a sidebar menu, and crazy long tutorials that fit into one Chapter page, then they have Next and Prev buttons at the bottom saying "Next - Writing your first Django app, Part 2".  That way I can keep track of my reading progress easier.  But I wouldn't say that official Django tutorials is the perfect example to copy when it comes to breadcrumb techniques.  But it semi-works for me, at least I'm not totally lost but the navigation experience could be even better.

You just need to find what solutions are readily available for your blog engine which is Wordpress I guess and pick what suits your tutorial structure and taste the best.

Jasvir Singh

Nov 4, 2013, 7:47:49 AM11/4/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Pepsodent Cola <pepsod...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Pepsodent.

> Now your website looks more 2010 than 1990. It looks fresh and is more
> pleasant for the eyes for lengthy reading compared to your first website.

Thanks for your appreciation. :)

> The only thing I'm missing now is some sort of breadcrumb navigation that
<snip>
> engine which is Wordpress I guess and pick what suits your tutorial
> structure and taste the best.

Thanks for your suggestion.
It's done. Now you can see there "you are here:....". :)

Mario Osorio

Nov 4, 2013, 9:46:06 AM11/4/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Incredible!

Thank you very much for your effort. This is looks incredibly better than before.

Now, and  I don't mean to be picky.

Remember I'm a noob. I do however, have a lot of experience in failing when following tutorials.

I understand the tutorials are on django, and you've made a very nice job at keeping the sections small, clear, concise and to the point, but I  think the use of virtualenv should be PUSHED into the minds of those noobs like me wanting to work with django.

I also understand virtualenv is just desirable or recommended, but if you: 1) are just learning the basics and/or 2) want to succeed deploying; virtualenv is a must, if not mandatory.

I've seen this omission in other tutorials and I don't mean each tutorial to make a whole chapter on virtualenv; but at least a few words describing what it is and why is it important are in order.

just my two cents ...

In any case; congrats, great job!!