[OT]Code Review As a Service

Venkatraman S

Jan 25, 2011, 4:42:59 AM1/25/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was wondering whether there any freelancers/companies who offer code-review as a service.
IMHO, a code review helps in almost all occasions, but the faced paced life seems to have
put this in the back burner.

Would like your code to be reviewed? If yes, what would be the ideal per hour rates that
would not hurt your wallet?

-Venkat
http://blizzardzblogs.blogspot.com/

Derek

Jan 25, 2011, 9:18:11 AM1/25/11
to Django users
Yes, I think this is a great idea.

Ideally, the charge-rate would be "per lines of code" (excluding
blanks, of course!). Hours are just, too, "amorphous" in this
particular case.

Ronghui Yu

Jan 25, 2011, 9:48:52 AM1/25/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful idea
Are you going to open business like that?

===========================
Regards
Ronghui Yu

Daniel Roseman

Jan 25, 2011, 10:03:24 AM1/25/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Are you asking, or offering? I've done a few successful code reviews for people on this group and elsewhere. If you're interested, contact me off-list to discuss rates/times.
--
Daniel.

Lee Hinde

Jan 25, 2011, 12:11:17 PM1/25/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

I'm one of those who used Daniel for a code review and I was extremely
grateful for his help.

Venkatraman S

Feb 12, 2011, 12:13:30 PM2/12/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in offering such a service. Anyone game interested? :)

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Feb 13, 2011, 5:00:19 AM2/13/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Just for the record, I would advice anyone getting into this business to have this as part of a portfolio of services, rather than just a single service on its own. This area of work usually comes 'hand in hand' with other development services (with rare exceptions), and would be difficult to establish cash flow with just this service on its own.

As for pricing structure, your experience and knowledge should be reflected in your price. Personally, I would advice 3+ years for Django and 5+ years for Python/Stackless, anything shorter than this and it would be suggested that you don't really meet the minimum criteria for calling yourself "a professional" in the field.

However, sometimes years of experience really doesn't count for anything, it all depends how much you love the language, and how much you have learned along the way. I had been a commercial PHP developer for almost the same amount of time I was doing python (py 2005 / php 2007). But let me tell you this, my PHP code was absolutely atrocious. I don't know why, but me and PHP just never got along. Where as with Python, my code was constantly getting better.

Remember to just always be honest with yourself, and don't offer this service unless you are *really* good at what you do.

Venkatraman S

Apr 27, 2014, 11:55:38 PM4/27/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
An old thread that I started and over the past few years, and I want to offer Code-Review as a Service
to anyone  wants their code to be reviewed. I have a few cycles free and want to slowly get back into this.

Am not too much worried about the payment, but am looking for enthusiastic and honest people/team(s) :)

Please do get in touch with me in private to discuss more,  if it interests you.

Regards,
Venkat