Is there anything similar to phpmyadmin

Yuan-Liang Tang

Sep 20, 2014, 9:38:15 PM9/20/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to know if there is anything/anyway similar to phpmyadmin for managing MySQL DBs in a Django project or in the Python environment. Any suggestions?

django-mysql-manage seems to be dead.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-mysql-manager/0.1.2

Joel Khan

Sep 20, 2014, 10:03:29 PM9/20/14
to Django List

That would be pg admin

Yuan-Liang Tang

Sep 21, 2014, 1:37:03 AM9/21/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
But pgadmin is for postgres, right?

Avraham Serour

Sep 21, 2014, 7:14:13 AM9/21/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
yes, pgadmin is for postgres. also it is a standalone app, not django or even python based.

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Yuan-Liang Tang <ylta...@gmail.com> wrote:
But pgadmin is for postgres, right?

Fred Stluka

Sep 22, 2014, 5:35:37 PM9/22/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
There's some really nice DB admin functionality in PyCharm.

It's not open source, or even free, and it's not written in Python,
but it's part of an IDE that I use (and many others here?) for
developing our Python/Django code.

Hope this helps!
--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fr...@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.

Aaron C. de Bruyn

Sep 22, 2014, 5:55:22 PM9/22/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
You might consider setting up your database connection string, then doing a 'python manage.py inspectdb'.

This will spit out a bunch of model definitions.  Paste them into your models.py, and add them in admin.py, and you have an interface for managing a database.

-A

alTus

Sep 22, 2014, 7:21:36 PM9/22/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
I've come to the fact that standalone apps on your client computer are much more handy for db management.
All you need is to set up ssh tunnel to your server.
Native apps generally work faster and also allow you not to waste time setting up _stuff_ on the server.

SQLYog is a very good program for mysql (but it's not free).
Still there're a lot of alternatives.

Yuan-Liang Tang

Sep 22, 2014, 10:37:26 PM9/22/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but I'd like to use something open and free ;-)
Per your suggestions about native apps, MySQL Workbench, included in Ubuntu's Software Center, seems to be a good solution?

Thangs a lot.

alTus於 2014年9月23日星期二UTC+8上午7時21分36秒寫道:

alTus

Sep 23, 2014, 4:26:07 AM9/23/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Well, you know it's more about personal comfort and specific needs.
I didn't actually work with workbench but it seems that it's nice software.
Also you can consider these ones:
HeidiSQL (free and I've heard some good responses about it but needs wine)
EMS SQL Studio (lite version is free)

воскресенье, 21 сентября 2014 г., 5:38:15 UTC+4 пользователь Yuan-Liang Tang написал:
I'd like to know if there is anything/anyway similar to phpmyadmin for managing MySQL DBs in a Django project or in the Python environment. Any suggestions?

Jani Tiainen

Sep 23, 2014, 6:27:49 AM9/23/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
I personally like DBeaver, since it can handle several types of DBMSes out of the box.
And it's free.

There are prebuilt packages for pretty much any major os/distribution.