University management system

Ankita Gupta

Oct 9, 2019, 12:54:13 PM10/9/19
to Django users
Hello everyone!
I have a project to make on university management system.
BASIC requirements-
1. Heirarichal mode(multiple users like mentor, student, Dean, advisors etc)
2. Students need to post daily blogs about their progress(if certain task is given to them by their mentors).
3. Blogs will have images, url, links, etc.
4. Discussion forum or maybe comment system in simple language where mentor and student can interact over the blog.
5. Weekly and monthly report generator of student's progress like no. Of blogs, how much they were active etc.
6. Mentor provided with grading facility just like we have different emojis on Facebook post.
I want to know if is this possible with any cms because I am very much short of time. And I have less practical knowledge of django. I have tried many open source projects regarding blog part but couldn't find useful to me. I have to submit this project in 1 week.
Django users, waiting for your valuable response to this thread.

Obodoma Uzondu Vincent

Oct 9, 2019, 1:09:27 PM10/9/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Try using the mezzanine plugin for django . if you want me to teach you how to use mezzanine you have to pay me.

Nitin Kumar

Oct 9, 2019, 3:08:32 PM10/9/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
I can do this for you over the week end, you will have to pay me for that.

Ankita Gupta

Oct 9, 2019, 4:21:22 PM10/9/19
to Django users

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 10:39:27 PM UTC+5:30, Obodoma Uzondu Vincent wrote:
Try using the mezzanine plugin for django .
Does mezzanine support multiple user and hierarchy system?

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:54 AM Ankita Gupta <ankita....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ankita Gupta

Oct 9, 2019, 4:23:40 PM10/9/19
to Django users

On Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 12:38:32 AM UTC+5:30, Nitin Kumar wrote:
I can do this for you over the week end, you will have to pay me for that.
Thank you for your input, but I am here to learn. It would be really helpful if you can answer my queries. Have a good day,

On Wed, 9 Oct, 2019, 10:24 PM Ankita Gupta, <ankita....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Jani Tiainen

Oct 9, 2019, 5:21:00 PM10/9/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

How realistic, given your requirements, you think you as a developer can implement all that in one week?

Ok, lets break this down a bit.

Requirement 1 hierarchical users. This is rather trivial to do if you don't need fancy ui but can rely on admin facilities.

Requirement 2 blogging. If you checkout Django Girls tutorial it gives basis to write one.

Requirement 3 fancy stuff like images etc in blogs. Now it starts to get tricky. Like how you upload images? How to size and position them? How you add links? Do you want to make sure all user input is safe or do you trust users not to do bad things. This is one of the big requirements which has possibilty to be real time sink. You said that you have checked out some blogs. Why they didn't fit to your requirements?

Requirement 4 forums or comments. If you think a bit there is actually very little difference between those two. Both are usually time based and might be hierarchical also.

Requirement 5 reports. This might be one of the simplest things to implement since django orm provides pretty good aggregation support. You just need to figure out what and how you want to represent the data.

Requirement 6 grading system. Or "rating" fortunately there exists quite many django apps that does this.

Ankita Gupta

Oct 10, 2019, 2:50:54 AM10/10/19
to Django users

On Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 2:51:00 AM UTC+5:30, Jani Tiainen wrote:
Hi.

How realistic, given your requirements, you think you as a developer can implement all that in one week?
I know it's not realistic, but I have to do it myself.

Ok, lets break this down a bit.

Requirement 1 hierarchical users.

This is rather trivial to do if you don't need fancy ui but can rely on admin facilities.
With admin as in group permissions?

Requirement 2 blogging. If you checkout Django Girls tutorial it gives basis to write one.
Yeas, I have started doing that part.

Requirement 3 fancy stuff like images etc in blogs. Now it starts to get tricky. Like how you upload images? How to size and position them? How you add links? Do you want to make sure all user input is safe or do you trust users not to do bad things. This is one of the big requirements which has possibilty to be real time sink. You said that you have checked out some blogs. Why they didn't fit to your requirements?
For now, I just want it to work, I can do validation stuff later on. Other blogs were very simple, just a paragraph post with no styling nothing extra.

Requirement 4 forums or comments. If you think a bit there is actually very little difference between those two. Both are usually time based and might be hierarchical also.
Yeas.

Requirement 5 reports. This might be one of the simplest things to implement since django orm provides pretty good aggregation support. You just need to figure out what and how you want to represent the data.
Okay. I'll check that. Thank you.

Requirement 6 grading system. Or "rating" fortunately there exists quite many django apps that does this.
Can you list some of them?