Django Produces Python?

Ed Sutherland

Mar 25, 2017, 11:19:57 PM3/25/17
to django-users
Forgive me if this question is too basic, but I'm a relative newbie to programming frameworks. As I understand it, a framework is built to abstract common tasks within the native language (Python, PHP, Ruby, etc.) When development using a framework is complete, will the production version of the app still require the framework? For instance, would an app developed with Django need only Python, or the entire programming framework? (I haven't seen a suitable answer after searching.)

Lachlan Musicman

Mar 25, 2017, 11:31:29 PM3/25/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
It will needs the Django as well. Think of them as layers - at the bottom is the OS, then there is python. Django sits on Python. Your project sits on Django. Can't remove a layer.

cheers
L.

------
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this way."

- Grace Hopper

On 26 March 2017 at 14:19, Ed Sutherland <e...@tburgnews.com> wrote:
Forgive me if this question is too basic, but I'm a relative newbie to programming frameworks. As I understand it, a framework is built to abstract common tasks within the native language (Python, PHP, Ruby, etc.) When development using a framework is complete, will the production version of the app still require the framework? For instance, would an app developed with Django need only Python, or the entire programming framework? (I haven't seen a suitable answer after searching.)

Ed Sutherland

Mar 26, 2017, 12:46:55 AM3/26/17
to django-users
Wow. I had thought Django as an assistant to build python projects. If I need the framework along with whatever language, it seems like immense code-bloat. What, then, is the purpose of using frameworks?

---- On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 23:30:45 -0400 Lachlan Musicman <dat...@gmail.com> wrote ----

[...]

François Schiettecatte

Mar 26, 2017, 12:50:59 AM3/26/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
The purpose of a framework is so that you don’t have to write it yourself.

François
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/15b08efd9bb.fb7e1aec112788.7061965930651567288%40tburgnews.com.

James Bennett

Mar 26, 2017, 12:52:51 AM3/26/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
Python is a programming language. You can use it to write many types of programs. For example, you can use it to write web applications (which run on a web server, respond to HTTP requests, store their data in a database, render HTML templates for output, etc.). But doing this from scratch would require you to write many modules of Python code yourself, in order to handle all the common and necessary parts of a typical web application.

Django provides those things for you, already written, so that you do not need to write them yourself. Instead, you can write only the things which are truly unique to your specific application, and let already-written modules from Django handle the rest.

Lachlan Musicman

Mar 26, 2017, 4:17:38 AM3/26/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
If you take James' answer and expand it a little, take a look at a Python micro-framework like Pylons http://pylonsproject.org/

It's smaller than Django and is a useful tool for a different type of website.

For instance take Authentication and Authorization - logins. Not every site needs one. Django has it by default. If you don't need it, maybe Pylons is a better fit.

But be aware - when you have to actually write some code that makes user accounts and logins happen in Pylons, that's when you will discover that Django's "batteries included" philosophy really works for some style of projects.

cheers
L.

------

On 26 March 2017 at 15:52, James Bennett <ubern...@gmail.com> wrote:
Python is a programming language. You can use it to write many types of programs. For example, you can use it to write web applications (which run on a web server, respond to HTTP requests, store their data in a database, render HTML templates for output, etc.). But doing this from scratch would require you to write many modules of Python code yourself, in order to handle all the common and necessary parts of a typical web application.

Django provides those things for you, already written, so that you do not need to write them yourself. Instead, you can write only the things which are truly unique to your specific application, and let already-written modules from Django handle the rest.

Melvyn Sopacua

Mar 26, 2017, 5:23:48 AM3/26/17
to django...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday 26 March 2017 00:46:28 Ed Sutherland wrote:

> Wow. I had thought Django as an assistant to build python projects. If

> I need the framework along with whatever language, it seems like

> immense code-bloat. What, then, is the purpose of using frameworks?

This article sums it up quite nicely.

--

Melvyn Sopacua

Antonis Christofides

Mar 26, 2017, 8:40:53 AM3/26/17
to django...@googlegroups.com

You can think of Django as just a library. We call it a "framework" because it defines a whole way of working. Likewise, the Python standard library calls unittest a "framework" and this is consistent, because unittest also defines a whole way of working. But the difference between a framework and a library can be blurred.

So when you deploy your app, you need to include the libraries on which it depends, and Django is one of them.

Antonis Christofides
http://djangodeployment.com
On 03/26/2017 06:19 AM, Ed Sutherland wrote:
Forgive me if this question is too basic, but I'm a relative newbie to programming frameworks. As I understand it, a framework is built to abstract common tasks within the native language (Python, PHP, Ruby, etc.) When development using a framework is complete, will the production version of the app still require the framework? For instance, would an app developed with Django need only Python, or the entire programming framework? (I haven't seen a suitable answer after searching.)

Ed Sutherland

Mar 26, 2017, 11:24:13 AM3/26/17
to django-users
I now understand the purpose and worth of Django. What, then, are the questions I need to ask potential hosts? I'm leaning toward Linode, but would also like affordable managed hosting.

---- On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 04:16:52 -0400 Lachlan Musicman<dat...@gmail.com> wrote ----

[...]

Andréas Kühne

Mar 26, 2017, 11:47:04 AM3/26/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
If you want managed hosting, all you have to do is ask if they can host django.

You normally install django in a virtualenvironment - so as long as they allow virtual environments you are probably good to go. Most managed servers that can install python work with Django - Django is a pretty well known framework.

If you are not leaning towards a managed environment all you need is a linux installation on the server - it's easiest to install on linux, but can be done in windows as well.

Regards,

Andréas

[...]

ijazz jazz

Jun 12, 2018, 12:31:47 AM6/12/18
to Django users
Django was born in a newsroom, and it's designed to handle that . With a simple command, Djangoautomatically generates a Python API based .

Mario R. Osorio

Jun 12, 2018, 10:49:12 AM6/12/18
to Django users
I've tried multiple managed hosting and they all have limitations that will eventually go against your expansion needs. The best example I can think of is the fact that in most of these services you cannot compile, and some of python's libraries do require compiling.

I favor Virtual Private Servers and personally prefer DigitalOcean.com. They have a very nice price structure that starts at $5/month and even offer one-click applications, Django 1.8.7 among them. Not only that, their documentation is very complete and they have a tutorial for virtually everything, from configuring your server to securing and hardening its security. I would say DO is also a 'battery included' service when it comes to non managed server (and no, I'm not getting paid by DO!, I'm just a big fan...)

HTH!