Actively developed/supported piston fork?

sams...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2014, 5:34:32 AM10/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
I've inherited an app that was written for Django 1.4, and updated it to Django 1.7.

I've noticed lots of forks of Piston on the web.

Are any being actively used/fixed/supported?  Which one should I try?

Is anyone who has a fork that they are keeping up to date on this mailing list?

Finally - if it makes more sense to replace piston with something else, what would be the easiest thing to replace it with?

Thanks!

Russell Keith-Magee

Oct 30, 2014, 7:30:55 PM10/30/14
to Django Users
Hi,

I'm not aware of any actively maintained fork of Piston. The bulk of the energy around REST tools in the Django community has moved to Django REST Framework:

It's not a drop-in replacement for Piston, though - you'll need to do some re-engineering.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

reduxionist

Nov 1, 2014, 12:53:54 AM11/1/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:34:32 PM UTC+7, sams...@gmail.com wrote:
I've inherited an app that was written for Django 1.4, and updated it to Django 1.7.
Are any being actively used/fixed/supported?  Which one should I try?

While Russell Keith-Magee is definitely correct when he says "the bulk of the energy around REST tools in the Django community has moved to Django REST Framework," given that you have inherited legacy code, the good news is that there are indeed active forks of
Piston, thanks to how widely used it was before the advent of DRF fore-runner TastyPie. The most recently active fork I know of is: https://github.com/matllubos/django-piston, which is currently actively maintained. If that doesn't work for you for any reason, let me know and I'll dig up my other, next-most-recently-active, Piston forks…

Best wishes,
Jonathan Barratt