new Feature: yay or neigh?

Samuel Muiruri

Apr 7, 2018, 3:04:38 AM4/7/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,
Think this would be a neat feature to add to django.

{% if request.connection %}
    #if there's a connection to the internet returns True, by default tries to connect to google
{% else %}
    #could for example load local js/css files instead of from cdn
{% endif %}

primarily could be used to check if a site/link you really for service is operational before moving forward

{% if request.connection:"http://www.somesite/service" %}
    #load js and present service
{% else %}
{% endif %}

--
Best Regards,
Samuel Muiruri.

Melvyn Sopacua

Apr 7, 2018, 3:47:17 AM4/7/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
On zaterdag 7 april 2018 09:02:52 CEST Samuel Muiruri wrote:
> Hey guys,
> Think this would be a neat feature to add to django.
>
> {% if request.connection %}
> #if there's a connection to the internet returns True, by default tries
> to connect to google
> {% else %}
> #could for example load local js/css files instead of from cdn
> {% endif %}

Neigh. Think about what you're proposing here:

> {% if request.connection:"http://www.somesite/service" %}

So on the incoming browser request object you instantiate a connection from
your server to some site. This by no means ensures that the browser can
connect to that service.
There's also no way to "tell the browser to check availability to that site",
because once the request object is created in Django the browser has already
sent the request - it's not two-way communication.

This should be handled in javascript and Django cannot do anything for you
here as it's not part of the problem.
--
Melvyn Sopacua

Julio Biason

Apr 7, 2018, 11:10:30 AM4/7/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
My 2 cents:

1.  Django )and it’s template system) runs on server. When I’ll the serve not have a connection? If the sever doesn’t have a connection, it will not sis anyway.

2.  What you want is probably develop a PWA with offline support. This is kinda built in in most browse using webworkers.

Apr 7, 2018, 11:54:15 AM4/7/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you want to prove your idea useful write a template tag and try ti get people to use it.