What step am I missing?

Joseph Jones

Mar 10, 2019, 6:23:58 PM3/10/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!
I have been reading  https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learn-python-programming-second-edition Since November, so I am very much new to the Python community. I am currently on chapter 14 "Web development" which suggests completing the tutorial on  djangoproject.com after installing Django of course. When I've run the first two commands in the cmd of my PC I get the output the tutorial would indicate. However when I run the command .../> py manage.py runserver I receive a command error that no such file exists. My question is what mistake am I making? I'm hypothesizing one is to create a file entitled "manage.py' before beginning, however unless I'm misreading the text in the tutorial the command .../> django-admin startproject runserver auto-generates said file. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong would be immensely appreciated. Let me apologize in advance if I either, ask for clarification in any responses(again I am new), or mess up again through out the course of the tutorial and again reach out to the community. Thank you for any help,
Joseph

Eddy Izm

Mar 10, 2019, 9:08:43 PM3/10/19
to Django users
I'm guessing you are in the wrong directory. Please show the directory.

Kayode Oladipo

Mar 11, 2019, 9:07:44 AM3/11/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
You have to be in the project level directory to access 'manage.py'.
Use the 'cd' command in the terminal to do this.

Joseph Jones

Mar 11, 2019, 9:33:12 AM3/11/19
to django...@googlegroups.com

Joseph Jones

Mar 11, 2019, 9:35:55 AM3/11/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, does one bring up the cd command in the python terminal?

Suresh Kannan

Mar 12, 2019, 9:30:36 AM3/12/19
to django...@googlegroups.com

Joseph Jones

Mar 14, 2019, 10:46:57 PM3/14/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
yes Thank you so much those video tutorial helped me quite a bit. I was able to create a new directory, as the "introduction to django" tutorial suggested I've made sure its title is project specific. However, I seem to have run into a problem creating a path to my new directory. when last I ran the command I received an Command error stating that my project name was not valid. Any thoughts on what detail I am overlooking would be very appreciated,
Thank you

Pedro Folch

Mar 15, 2019, 7:46:14 AM3/15/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Also try using pycharm it will probably be easier for running django.  It helps.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019, 9:22 PM Pedro Folch <pedro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Your cms line should be in the same directory as the manage.py

Pedro Folch

Mar 15, 2019, 7:46:15 AM3/15/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Your cms line should be in the same directory as the manage.py

Joseph Jones

Apr 3, 2019, 10:33:45 AM4/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Pedro,
I apologize for the response delay. First thank you very much for recommending pycharm. I do still find myself getting stuck on the same line. when I've run the code >py manage.py runserver I still receive an error that ' manage.py does not exist'. I'm sure it is a basic step that I'm not seeing, and taking a month to complete a basic tutorial is certainly humbling. any advice would be greatly appreciated and if I'm not being descriptive enough please let me know and I will do my best to be as accurate as possible. Thank you,

Joseph

jgi...@caktusgroup.com

Apr 3, 2019, 11:24:11 AM4/3/19
to Django users
Pedro,

Can you provide us with the structure of your project?  For example:

/home/pedro/intro_django/
/
home/pedro/intro_django/manage.py
/home/pedro/intro_django/apps/
/
home/pedro/intro_django/apps/models.py
/home/pedro/intro_django/apps/views.py

Then let us know which where you are issuing the command "py manage.py runserver"

Thanks,

Jeremy Gibson

Pedro Folch

Apr 3, 2019, 11:46:56 AM4/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
When you run the line manage.py you should be on the same folder.  Make sure that you can see manage.py when you do an ls on the command prom

Pedro Folch

Apr 3, 2019, 11:47:26 AM4/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Also when you create a project, select the django project on pycharm
This will create almost all the steps needed for startup

Pedro Folch

Apr 3, 2019, 11:52:41 AM4/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Also terminal in pycharm is the command prom if you press the green arrow on top it will also run the manage.py and will give you answers if problems found

jgi...@caktusgroup.com

Apr 3, 2019, 12:12:53 PM4/3/19
to Django users
Sorry, I addressed this to Pedro when I meant jos.jwj.

Pedro Folch

Apr 3, 2019, 12:19:34 PM4/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Helpful videos use encodingforentrepernours and justdjango are very helpful providers

Pedro Folch

Apr 3, 2019, 12:26:50 PM4/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Sorry codingforentreprenour or so. On YouTube.

Joseph Jones

Apr 5, 2019, 10:44:45 AM4/5/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy,

Thank you for suggesting I review my structure. It appears to be:
/home/Joseph
/home/Joseph/Anaconda3
/home/Joseph/Anaconda3/lib/site-packages
The last of which appears to be where the error is occurring. I don't seem to be able to access  the project from my manage.py file. Do you think that could be my error that manage.py directory is in a separate folder? if I attempt to access django from a folder other than Anaconda I receive a ModuleNotFoundError, But if I attempt to install django I receive Requirement is already satisfied django is installed on /home/Joseph/Anaconda3/lib/site-packages. Also I've noticed when checking the configuration of my settings on pycharm "django is not importable in this environment" So I appear to have django installed, but have not properly structured my venv in order to interact with it. Does this information help? please let me know, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you and again I apologize for the response delay,

Joseph

Joseph Jones