Converting GeometryField to MultiPolygon using GeoDjango?

Jack

Jun 13, 2018, 2:29:35 PM6/13/18
to Django users
I am trying to add a bunch of school boundary files into the database.  The boundary files are inconsistent.  They are processed by `DataSource` as either `Polygon`, `MultiPolygon`, or `GeometryCollection`.

Converting `Polygon` into `MultiPolygon` is fairly simple using this solution(https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/13498), but the conversion does not work for `GeometryCollection`.

    class School(models.Model):
        boundaries = models.MultiPolygonField()

    ---

    from django.contrib.gis.geos import Polygon, MultiPolygon
    from django.contrib.gis.geos.collections import GeometryCollection

    ds = DataSource('school_boundaries.aspx')
    feature = ds[0][0]
    geom_geos = feature.geom.geos
    if isinstance(geom_geos, Polygon):
        geom_geos = MultiPolygon(geom_geos)
    elif isinstance(geom_geos, GeometryCollection):
        geom_geos = MultiPolygon(GeometryCollection)  #This does not work
    school = School(boundaries = geom_geos)
    school.save()

Is there some way to convert `GeometryField` to `MultiPolygon` in GeoDjango?

Jack

Jun 13, 2018, 2:30:34 PM6/13/18
to Django users
See original question on Stack Overflow for better formating.

Jani Tiainen

Jun 13, 2018, 4:10:31 PM6/13/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I usually do data cleanups with QGIS tool which has excellent tools to manipulate data. And it's relatively fast.

Of course if you need to import data more regular basis QGIS might not be an option.