Preparing virtualenvwrapper for Django 1.6 development

Sithembewena Lloyd Dube

Aug 22, 2014, 5:24:07 PM8/22/14
to Python, django...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am developing on a Windows 8.1 machine and wold like to setup virtualenvironment via virtualenvwrapper so as to have a properly set up Python development environment.

I am referring to Jeff Knupp's guide at http://www.jeffknupp.com/blog/2013/12/18/starting-a-django-16-project-the-right-way/

After installation of virtualenvwrapper via pip, the guide says:
"
After it's installed, add the following lines to your shell's start-up file (.zshrc, .bashrc, .profile, etc).

export WORKON_HOME=$HOME/.virtualenvs
export PROJECT_HOME=$HOME/directory-you-do-development-in
source /usr/local/bin/virtualenvwrapper.sh
"

My issue is, I do not understand what these lines are doing (I have a vague idea but assumptions can be deadly). Moreover, it is clear that the instructions were authored with a UNIX environment in mind.

Would anyone be so kind as to translate this to Windows speak, as well as perhaps pointing out what file this would go into in a Windows environment?

Thanks in advance :)

Kind regards,
Sithu.
Sithu Lloyd Dube

Mike Dewhirst

Aug 22, 2014, 9:01:48 PM8/22/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 23/08/2014 7:23 AM, Sithembewena Lloyd Dube wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am developing on a Windows 8.1 machine and wold like to setup
> virtualenvironment via virtualenvwrapper so as to have a properly set up
> Python development environment.
>
> I am referring to Jeff Knupp's guide atÂ
> http://www.jeffknupp.com/blog/2013/12/18/starting-a-django-16-project-the-right-way/
>
> After installation of virtualenvwrapper via pip,

I'm not sure this gives you the windows version. I don't use it on
Windows 8.1. I somehow thought it wasn't available for Windows and wrote
my own set of batch files instead. But it appears there is a
virtualenv-win ...

https://github.com/davidmarble/virtualenvwrapper-win

... in which it appears there is a powershell caveat - which is a
mystery to me.

Good luck

Mike

the guide says: