How to authenticate a user in websocket connection in django channels when using token authentication

Robin Lery

Sep 14, 2017, 9:36:24 PM9/14/17
to django...@googlegroups.com

I am using a frontend framework (Vuejs) and django-rest-framework for the REST API in my project. Also, for JSON web token authentication I am using django-rest-framework-jwt. After a successful login, the user is provided with a token. This token is passed into every request to fetch any API related stuff.

Now I would like to integrate django channels into my project. So, after successful login, when the token is received in the client side, I would like to initiate a websocket connection. Then on the server (consumer), I would like to check if the requested user is not anonymous. If the requested user is anonymous, I would like to close the connenction or else accept it.

This is how I have till now:

client side:

const socket = new WebSocket("ws://" + "dev.site.com"+ "/chat/");

routing.py:

channel_routing = [
    route("websocket.connect", ws_connect),
]

consumers:

def ws_connect(message):

    # if the user is no anonymous
    message.reply_channel.send({
        "accept": True
    })

    # else
    message.reply_channel.send({
        "close": True
    })

In the documentation there's a decorator @channel_session_user_from_http which will provide a message.user. But I am using a token instead of a session. How can I check a user on connection when using token authentication, so that I can accept or close connection. Or, if there is a better way could you please advise me with it. Thank you.

Andrew Godwin

Sep 15, 2017, 1:09:57 PM9/15/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
You'll have to write your own authentication code that runs in `connect` and puts a user into the channel session - there's nothing built in that will really help you past that I'm afraid.

Andrew

Robin Lery

Sep 16, 2017, 3:09:29 PM9/16/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks. So, I was confused about two things on authenticating a user.

1. What to do with the token?
  • You can pass the token as a query string and get that query params. Read more about how to get the query params here.
  • Or if you are already passing it in the request's authorization header, you can get it from there (like my final code below). Remeber to first fake that request.
2. How validate that token and get the user?
  • Finally, VerifyJSONWebTokenSerializer class was all I needed to validate the token, and get that token's user object. You can read the actual code of django-rest-framework-jwt here.

So, I ended up doing this way:

def ws_connect(message):
    message.content.setdefault('method', 'FAKE')
    django_request = AsgiRequest(message)
    token = django_request.GET['token'].split(' ')[1]
    try:
        data = {'token': token}
        valid_data = VerifyJSONWebTokenSerializer().validate(data)
        user = valid_data['user']
        message.reply_channel.send({
            "accept": True
        })
    except (KeyError, InvalidTokenError, ValidationError,):
        message.reply_channel.send({
            "text": "Authentication error",
            "close": True
        })

Dominik Szmaj

Nov 15, 2017, 3:27:15 PM11/15/17
to Django users
Hey,

I've done this websocket authorization almost exactly like Robin, and it's working (like receiving token with query params, verifying it and things) but it's not properly opening connection (like its not sending accept: True, which I do after verification) and connection is permanently in pending state don't receiving anything. No errors in log or js console except ws connection timeouts.

Could anyone point at possible cause?

Best regards,
Dominik

Dominik Szmaj

Nov 16, 2017, 8:49:07 AM11/16/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ok, this was entirely my fault. I created groups with id of a user.username and didn't add message.reply_channel to this group right after successful token verification.

__
Pozdrawiam,
Dominik Szmaj

W dniu 15.11.2017 21:13:00, "Dominik Szmaj" <domini...@snello.pl> pisze

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Django users" group.