Admin site not working properly using passenger on shared hosting. Need help setting it up properly

Tanvir Ahmed

Mar 2, 2018, 7:19:10 AM3/2/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am fairly new to the web hosting world. I recently purchased a plan at a2hosting. It's a shared hosting plan. After some problems with FastCGI, I was told to use passenger to host django. I couldn't find much on this topic and somehow managed to get the website working. However, soon I realized that the post forms weren't working. More importantly, the admin site wasn't working properly. I get to the admin site login but once I try to login, I get a page not found error.

I have contacted the hosting provider and they seem to think that my configuration with passenger is wrong. They were kind enough to offer to change any server side settings if needed. So any idea what I am doing wrong? Could you guys provide me the steps to get django working with passenger? Or is it some server side settings fault?

Please note that I decided to get rid of everything and start fresh. I created a project by, first creating a virtualenv using CPanel's setup python app. This also creates a passenger_wsgi.py and a .htaccess file. I edited the passenger_wsgi.py to the following code:
from projectname.wsgi import application

After that I configured the settings where I made changes to the allowed hosts and provided the static and media files and directories. Then I ran collectstatics and made migrations and created superuser. Then, (keep in mind I am using the project I just created and haven't changed anything or added any apps) I went to, www.example.com/admin and the login appeared. But, once I do try to login, I get a page not found error.

The directory looks something like this:

root(/home/username)
    -virtualenv
    -website
        -passenger_wsgi.py
        -manage.py
        -public
        -tmp
        -project
            -__init__.py
            -settings.py
            -wsgi.py
            -urls.py

Please note: there are other files but I included the ones I thought were necessary.

Thank you in advance and sorry for any inconveniences

Vinicius Assef

Mar 2, 2018, 7:24:49 AM3/2/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Some time ago I wrote this post [0] about setting Python and Django
on Dreamhost. They use passenger.

Maybe it's useful to you.

[0] http://aprenda-python.blogspot.com.br/2016/06/setup-python-with-django-or-pyramid-on-dreamhost.html
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAOe4Nxf_ux%2B9xN1f1Vn0qNN4%2Bi%3DU%2BBsfNy2oAEmgyUV39Pc-Kw%40mail.gmail.com.
Message has been deleted

emepe

Mar 2, 2018, 8:13:03 AM3/2/18
to Django users
On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 9:19:10 AM UTC-3, Tanvir Ahmed wrote:
I am fairly new to the web hosting world. I recently purchased a plan at a2hosting. It's a shared hosting plan. After some problems with FastCGI, I was told to use passenger to host django. I couldn't find much on this topic and somehow managed to get the website working. However, soon I realized that the post forms weren't working. More importantly, the admin site wasn't working properly. I get to the admin site login but once I try to login, I get a page not found error.

For simple websites I might recommend using Webfaction. It is really easy and fast to have a site with Django and has a lot of support for Django sites.

- Ezequiel

team.rea...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2018, 8:28:17 AM3/2/18
to Django users
Hello,

Just followed the tutorial you have provided. The website is up and I do get the welcome page. I also do get the admin login site. However, as I try to login in with one of the superuser I have created, I get a page not found error.

Page not found (404)

Request Method: POST

Request URL: https://www.website.com/admin/login/?next=/admin/

Raised by: django.contrib.admin.sites.login

Using the URLconf defined in readerspoint.urls, Django tried these URL patterns, in this order:

1) admin/

The empty path didn't match any of these.

You're seeing this error because you have DEBUG = True in your Django settings file. Change that to False, and Django will display a standard 404 page.

This is what the error looks like.

Vinicius Assef

Mar 2, 2018, 10:27:11 AM3/2/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Probably you have a problem with route.

Check your routes.py again.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/0b59e202-8ce2-4d42-9d99-e217864b791d%40googlegroups.com.

Vinicius Assef

Mar 2, 2018, 10:27:29 AM3/2/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
My bad. It's urls.py

team.rea...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2018, 10:34:03 AM3/2/18
to Django users
Unlikely, I have checked it a few times already. The current one is generated via django itself. I haven't touched it. Do I need to add something to .bash_profile? I have created the virtualenv using CPanel's setup python app. This also created the passenger_wsgi.py and the other files.

Thank you for the help

Pato

Jun 27, 2018, 3:59:58 PM6/27/18
to Django users
Ahmed,

Did you manage to figure out what was the problem? I ran into the same problem. All POST requests  are throwing

Page not found (404)

Request Method:POST

Let me know

Thanks