Re: What is the best combination of components when installing Django on Windows 10?

Antonis Christofides

Dec 26, 2016, 5:41:43 AM12/26/16
to django...@googlegroups.com

What is best for me might not be best for you. For example, why Windows 10? Ubuntu would probably be easier. But you have a reason for choosing Windows 10. Likewise, why IIS? If you ask me, the best *in general* is Debian - nginx - Gunicorn - PostgreSQL, but what I actually do each time depends on the constraints I have each time (for example, I have reasons to use Apache more often than nginx). If I _had_ to deploy in Windows 10, I'd probably use Apache, mod_wsgi and PostgreSQL.

And the RDBMS also depends on the application. Sometimes SQLite is fine.

Regards,

Antonis

Antonis Christofides
http://djangodeployment.com
On 12/26/2016 08:11 AM, Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
Hello,
         What is the best combination of components to be used when installing Django on Windows 10; By Components, I mean the database and the web Server.

Thanks, Varuna

bart

Dec 26, 2016, 2:14:00 PM12/26/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
Beter Linux gebruike. Windows is shit to u se Django.

Wysłano z telefonu Samsung

Visual Studio 2015 community edition with PTVS
MS SQL Express 2012
and Azure for deployment

 Sent with Mailtrack

Beter Linux gebruike. Windows is shit to u se Django.

Wysłano z telefonu Samsung

         What is the best combination of components to be used when installing Django on Windows 10; By Components, I mean the database and the web Server.

Thanks, Varuna

bart

Dec 27, 2016, 1:15:24 PM12/27/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
Don't u se Windows!

Wysłano z telefonu Samsung

Dec 27, 2016, 1:20:31 PM12/27/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:59 AM, bart <ba...@kassaku.nl> wrote:
Don't u se Windows!

Please stop answering like this, this is the 2nd time you've provided an answer of essentially "just don't do it" to a valid question. Windows may not be where you would ever choose to deploy something, but there are perfectly valid reasons why some folk may use Windows, and there are certainly users who deploy Django on Windows. If you're not willing to actually answer the user's question then just don't answer. If you feel strongly enough about this question that you feel you must warn the user against Windows, that's still not necessarily helpful since they may not have a choice of OS for deployment, but should come at least with some valid rationale for "no don't do it".

roboslone

Dec 27, 2016, 10:03:50 PM12/27/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
Both nginx and Apache are cross-platform, so you could run them on Windows as your front-end servers. You can't use gunicorn and it's not recommended to use uWSGI on Windows (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21071494/how-to-run-django-with-nginx-on-a-windows-machine), but you could still use mod_wsgi with apache. Nginx also has wsgi module.

PostgreSQL, MySQL and sqlite can run on Windows, so you should have no problem with DB either.

Personally I would recommend developing on Linux, since you'd probably deploy on linux servers eventually. You could rent a VPS or run Ubuntu on virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMWare (both supporting Windows as a host and many Linux distributions as guest OS), which is free, but could slow down your host machine.

As to what's the best combination, I couldn't really tell. Personally I use PostgreSQL, gunicorn and nginx.

On 26 Dec 2016, at 09:11, Varuna Seneviratna <varunase...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
         What is the best combination of components to be used when installing Django on Windows 10; By Components, I mean the database and the web Server.

Thanks, Varuna

Avraham Serour

Kakar Nyori

Dec 28, 2016, 10:01:45 AM12/28/16
to Django users
Hi,

I use windows, and I too was confused about these things. The best recommendation I got was to use Vagrant, and to this day I use it.

"Vagrant is a tool for building complete development environments."

Basically you select an environment like ubuntu OS (called vagrant box), and then you add it as your vagrant environment. With this as your local development you get many benefits:

1. Since you will eventually be using OS like ubuntu in production, you get the same environment for the development as well.
2. You can play around with the environment.
3. And since you have the production like environment, you can basically do all the stuff you would do in production. Like you want gunicorn, ok, install it in your vagrant environment and use it.
4. You can administer and practice in the machine like you would do for the production.
5. You can have the same exact configuration that is in your production machine.

Hope this will be helpful to you as it was for me. And again, this may not be the best practice for someone else.

Cheers!

Kakar.

Matthew Pava

Dec 28, 2016, 10:47:46 AM12/28/16
to django...@googlegroups.com

For what it’s worth, I use Windows 10 as my development environment.  We use Windows Server 2012 in production with PostgreSQL and Apache 2.4 with modwsgi.  We use Python 3.5 and Django 1.10.  All of our tools are 64-bit.  What’s really nice is that we have a method to print webpages directly from the server so the user doesn’t have to be pestered with all of the print dialog settings in his or her browser.  We use a combination of PhantomJS to render the page as PDF and gsprint for the actual printing.  In our legacy version of the project, we used Microsoft Access which had the nice feature of clicking on a print button to have the report sent directly to the printer, so we had to keep that feature going.  (Now we need to implement a feature for sending email through the user’s Exchange mailbox.  Previously, we could use ActiveX to open the user’s Outlook window.)