Python / Django newbie looking for mentorship

Jon Hickam

Mar 19, 2017, 12:37:54 PM3/19/17
to Django users
I have 20 years experience in software but am new to OO python and django,  I have a project I am tackling and would be most grateful if there is someone I could hire to clone my repo and give me advice as I navigate my first project, maybe once or twice a week at the beginning?  Schedule can be flexible.  If you are interested send me a quick note with what your experience is and what sort of compensation rate you would be looking for and we can work out a time to chat.
Cheers!
Jon

propellerhat

Mar 19, 2017, 7:49:38 PM3/19/17
to Django users
If you have 20 Years of experience as a software developer you can easily learn python by yourself in one or two weeks.

There is a nice tutorial on the official Python website:

> https://docs.python.org/3.6/tutorial/introduction.html

You can ask beginner questions on the Python Tutor mailing list:

For learning the Django framework, I can't really comment on it, because I'm a newbie myself. However I'm not planning to hire anybody to each me.

Feria Científica

Mar 19, 2017, 10:27:33 PM3/19/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
I am a second year student of Electrical Engineering. I am a little bit lost on where to start with Django/Python. I´d like to run programs to see functions in action.  Where can I see codes??  Thanks

Richard

Mark Phillips

Mar 20, 2017, 1:03:35 AM3/20/17
to django users
Feria,

Start here if you are comfortable with Python....https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/intro/tutorial01/

Start here if you are new to Python...https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python

Both are hands on.

Good luck!

Mark

Antonis Christofides

Mar 20, 2017, 3:01:21 AM3/20/17
to django...@googlegroups.com

If you have 20 Years of experience as a software developer you can easily learn python by yourself in one or two weeks.

Of course he can. However a teacher is a huge boon, for various reasons, and if you have a little more money than time it's really a good idea to get one.

If someone is experienced in C or Delphi, for example, their first Python code looks like this:

for i in range(alist):
    do_something(alist[i])

Unlearning the C idioms and learning the Python ones is much faster and much easier with a teacher.

Regards,

A.
Antonis Christofides
http://djangodeployment.com

Feria Científica

Mar 20, 2017, 8:32:13 PM3/20/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thanks   a lot, I´ll start by the second,   greetings!

Richard