Slack community for Django

Deep Sukhwani

Jul 17, 2019, 4:46:13 AM7/17/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
[I have sent this as an email to DSF via Contact Us form, cross-posting it here in case this is a better place to communicate]

Hello,

A lot of large scale open source projects have a dedicated Slack community, some examples are Kubernetes, Golang, etc.
Slack has become defacto communication standard given its ease of use, third party integrations, bots, ability to notify people, availability across the platforms, etc.
Do we (Django community) have it in our pipeline to have a dedicated slack community?

This question became more acute as I noticed that DjangoCon2018 and DjangoCon2019 had their dedicated Slack communities but it is not open to the general public (probably only attendees, organizers, volunteer, etc?)

Deep L Sukhwani

Shubham Chauhan

Jul 17, 2019, 4:58:41 AM7/17/19
to Django users
Its a good idea

Nick Sarbicki

Jul 17, 2019, 5:01:15 AM7/17/19
to Django users
Hi Deep,

I'm not sure if there is currently a dedicated django community (there was an unofficial one but I believe it was converted into the yellow ant community).

We do however have a dedicated python community with a very active Django channel. It's linked on the PSF site here: https://www.python.org/community/

You can sign up at https://www.pyslackers.com

gilwell muhati

Jul 17, 2019, 5:55:41 AM7/17/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello @Deep
Yes there is  https://pyslackers.com/web join the Django Channel
I think we are just used to the Google Mail List  😁

Regards,

Gilwell Muhati | +254 710 739 116 |

~~“The mind is its own place and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven…”~~John Milton

Deep Sukhwani

Jul 17, 2019, 7:42:56 AM7/17/19
to Django users
Thank you, folks, for the super prompt and really helpful response.

Two points:
  1. It seems we are using the free version of Slack for https://pyslackers.com/web as a result of which older messages are not searchable. I feel (maybe I am wrong) This kind of discourages the use of tool given limitations that we have inherently.
  2. Tried to look for some select individuals I know are very regular in Django community, but couldn't find them - hence assuming it's either not evangelized enough (as much as our Mailing lists, IRC, etc.) and I have never heard of this being spoken about in any DjangoCon talks either.

Individual thoughts:
  1. I feel being updated with the tools and technologies we use as a community encourages more participation in the community since the barriers are low and the tools are familiar for the newly evolving workforce. As a community we should put focussed efforts towards things of this nature (again, just an opinion based on experience with some communities such as K8s)
Thank you again.

--
Deep S

Nick Sarbicki

Jul 17, 2019, 7:59:48 AM7/17/19
to Django users
Cheers for the feedback Deep,

Sadly given the scale of the current community it would cost up to around 1.6 million USD per year to use enterprise slack.

I know some OSS communities have this enabled for free, slack has been approached about this but have sadly declined to give pyslackers the same privilege.

Outside of doing a huge fundraiser every year I don't think there is a reasonable way to go about this.

Just to make a quick disclaimer, I am an admin of this slack community - but derive no profit or benefit from it other than community engagement.

Obviously we're happy to be mentioned in conference talks. But i don't see any real reason why we should be promoted at conferences at the moment.

This is feeling quite off topic at this point.

Deep Sukhwani

Jul 17, 2019, 8:02:46 AM7/17/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for acknowledging Nick.