can i use sqlite for big project?

Arindam sarkar

Jun 25, 2015, 10:08:32 AM6/25/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
i need to develop a job portal . is there any problem if i use sqlite ? coz i am having problem to setup mysql or postgresql . please help.

Arindam

Contact no. 08732822385

Karim

Jun 25, 2015, 10:18:10 AM6/25/15
to Django Users

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Arindam sarkar <asark...@gmail.com> wrote:
i need to develop a job portal . is there any problem if i use sqlite ? coz i am having problem to setup mysql or postgresql . please help.

​sqlite was not created for big portal. Use postgresql​

--
Karim N. Gorjux

Gagaro

Jun 25, 2015, 10:19:35 AM6/25/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Please refer to the Appropriate Uses For SQLite page: https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

dk

Jun 26, 2015, 11:28:11 AM6/26/15
to django...@googlegroups.com

as my understanding SQLite will only let you do one transaction at the time. and cant handle big volume of inputs at  once.
is great and easy since comes already as part of python if you are doing something for your local team. like a bug report or something that you know that not every one will be using it ALL the time.

Andrew Farrell

Jun 26, 2015, 11:59:59 AM6/26/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Arindam,

Here are two routes you should consider:
1) Develop your site using SQLite until you get to the point of needing something more performant under heavy loads, then switch over. By the time you switch, you will have developed a deeper understanding of Django and also will have demonstrated confidence-inspiring progress to your client.

2) Work through this tutorial on how to set up django with postgres as well as the webserver combination of gunicorn and nginx. This will give you a robust setup from the beginning and should Just Work.

Alon Nisser

Jun 26, 2015, 2:12:16 PM6/26/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Using sqlite would bite you in many way, not really transactional for example, some features (such as certain variation of ```distinct```) not supported etc. Use Postgresql, If you find it hard to setup you can use RDS (that has amazon web services offer of postgresql) or heroku postgresql - both have a basic free tier and take care of all the setup for you..

Thomas Lockhart

Jun 26, 2015, 2:38:23 PM6/26/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 6/25/15 7:08 AM, Arindam sarkar wrote:
> i need to develop a job portal . is there any problem if i use sqlite
> ? coz i am having problem to setup mysql or postgresql . please help.
As others have suggested, use Postgres from the start. Spend a few
minutes to understand the setup; it will be worth it.

Feel free to ask more specific questions if you continue to have trouble.

- Tom