Django and Lynda.com

Paul Handley

Oct 13, 2016, 9:37:52 PM10/13/16
to Django users
I am taking the Django and Python course on Lynda.com I have been following along, as the presenter shows me how to do it. I have downloaded and installed Python and Django; created my first project and first app. When I the presenter showed how to make a first "migration" by typing "python manage.py makemigrations" his computer terminal showed success in that a file called "initial.py was created. When I tried this at my terminal all I got was "No changes detected" I looked in file explorer to see if the file was created anyway, it wasn't.

If I have done everything correctly( and I have) why is this not working?

Thanks,
Paul

Gergely Polonkai

Oct 14, 2016, 1:12:02 AM10/14/16
to Django users

Hello,

assuming you created the models.py file and filled it with model classes, the only thing I can think of is you haven't added your own app to the INSTALLED_APPS variable in settings.py

Hope that helps.

Best,
Gergely

Vineet Kothari

Paul Handley

Oct 14, 2016, 9:53:46 PM10/14/16
to Django users
I figured it out. For some reason the presenter did not add the name of the app at the end of the makemigrations command. I did exactly like he did and got the wrong result. When I added the name of the app at the end everything functioned normally. With Jayne.com you are flying blind. There is no one to help you understand if the presenter makes a mistake. I'm looking around fr another site that is more user-friendly. Thanks a lot for your help!

James Schneider

Oct 16, 2016, 7:03:19 PM10/16/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Paul Handley <apaul....@gmail.com> wrote:
I figured it out. For some reason the presenter did not add the name of the app at the end of the makemigrations command. I did exactly like he did and got the wrong result. When I added the name of the app at the end everything functioned normally. With Jayne.com you are flying blind. There is no one to help you understand if the presenter makes a mistake. I'm looking around fr another site that is more user-friendly. Thanks a lot for your help!

I can certainly tell you that adding the app name should not be necessary in most cases, especially on a starter project.

I looked briefly at lynda.com. There are two different Django tutorials. I'm assuming you viewed the more basic of the two (Up and Running with Python and Django, Smith). I watched the sections on creating models and migrations, and the only piece that I saw was confusing was changing the app name part way through the tutorial, which requires changes in a couple of other places. I didn't go through the tutorial entirely, though.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I can assure you that the app name should not be necessary assuming that everything else is correct. I've never had to enter the app name. Doing so will limit your migration creation to the specific app, which will likely lead to issues down the road if you have multiple apps.

-James